Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy -- Carbon won't strip the meds from the water? I'm assuming the skimmer will though?
my po4 is creeping a bit. I could toss a tiny amount of GFO in with Carbon.

In some earlier tests carbon didn't remove Flucon but Purigen did. I removed it as a precaution in the beginning to give the treatment it's best chance just in case. You've been long enough without your skimmer to turn it back on now. I waited 3-4 days and put my skimmer cup back on.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would start removing every rock that can be taken out and scrub and dip them. Then run a full treatment of Flucon for at least 21 days or so and see how things look then. I know how much of a pain all of this can be but if you tough it out,you can get through this.
When you say dip them, do you mean bleach or muratic acid? Or h2o2? Thank you.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to stop your skimmer but some people have skimmed out too much of the meds before it had a chance to work on the algae. The treatment still worked for some who skimmed the entire time so everyone's tank is different.

That would suggest to me that fluconazole is not particularly skimmable – or it wouldn't work in any of the skimmed tanks. (At least not perfectly/as-expected.)

By extension that suggegsts there are/were other factors at work (aside from skimming) in the cases where the skimmer was on but treatment didn't work.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scanned through the thread, maybe I missed it, can you keep using Nopox with treatment?

I would not. In a compromised tank, you're inviting harmful algae to bloom by keeping the tank carbon-saturated. (Want dino's?)

I dosed again yesterday as my Bryopsis is growing again. It never died away completely the first two doses so we'll see how the third round goes. It's been two months or so since my last dose. Still happy with the results I'm getting with this stuff.

It's still growing, you're on your third dose – and you're happy with the results??? Are you sure it's Bryopsis and have you already been through troubleshooting your tank. (If you just dose fluconazole without doing anything else, that's a mistake.)

Great. So now I have a super algae. Mixed of dino, Bryopsis and gha. What do we call it? Its like t-rex had a love child with megladon which is breeding with a dinosaur. I'm so screwed. I'm so tempted to throw in the towel now.

Did you already start your own thread on your tank? See you in PM again. :)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would suggest to me that fluconazole is not particularly skimmable – or it wouldn't work in any of the skimmed tanks. (At least not perfectly/as-expected.)

By extension that suggegsts there are/were other factors at work (aside from skimming) in the cases where the skimmer was on but treatment didn't work.

We have had some people notice that skimmed right from the start they had a large amount of thicker white skimmate during the first few days of treatment. These people reported that the treatment didn't work that well for them so they tried again without their skimmer and then the treatment went as planned. This led us to believe that there was the possibility of skimming enough of the meds out for the treatment not to work. This would suggest to me that fluconazole is skimmable(at least to an extent).You may have to factor in the though the efficiency of each persons skimmer as they are not all created equal.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my progress so far:
Day 2 Patch #1

Patch #2

Day 3
So no real changes

Day 4
Saw some changes. Tips were getting white but not everywhere.
Patch #1

Patch #2
Same white tips

Day #5
Big time changes
Patch #2
Completely gone!

Patch #1 still being persistent but totally has turned white!! The batch is also less and less!!

I'm looking forward to finally getting rid of this pest!!

Excellent results so far! :)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say dip them, do you mean bleach or muratic acid? Or h2o2? Thank you.

Unless you are breaking everything down to start over I wouldn't dip them in bleach or muriatic acid. I would take them out,scrub them as best you can, then dip them in fresh water with some h2o2.(if you have corals on the rock then just use fresh water)This won't kill all of the algae because there will still probably be roots left but it will lessen the amount of algae that you have in your tank for your treatment.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 3 weeks...2 large wc...started from end of treatment...

There has been several people who said they ended up with some type of diatom/brown ugliness after the treatment possibly due to excessive nutrients from the algae die off but they did not say if it lasted that long after their water changes. Most people say to check for silicate but since you've done that I would stick to your regular water change schedule and see if things clear up over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still growing, you're on your third dose – and you're happy with the results??? Are you sure it's Bryopsis and have you already been through troubleshooting your tank. (If you just dose fluconazole without doing anything else, that's a mistake.)

No offense, but you annoy the snot out of me. Yes, I have Bryopsis and yes I've tried numerous algae reduction strategies to no avail. The only thing that has worked for me is Fluconazole.

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have your reactor dialed in,I would just keep it running since it helps reduce your nutrients.
Thank you for the quick response. That makes perfect sense. I was literally just sitting here, researching what bio plastics are made of, and how they work (again), just to try and figure out a logical reason to take them out. So, while I was contemplating with myself, I removed the reactor, placed the pellets in a jar with tank water in it, scrubbed the reactor pump, then put it all back together, and back in the sump it went. I'm glad you were here for a second opinion. This is day one with fluconozole, wish me lots of luck

DSC_0314.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back