Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5590.JPG
The spot in question is below the green mushroom on the top left near the magfloat and above the rock with the forest green mushrooms on the bottom left. This was taken on may 8th. It has been on this rock for 2 years with no growth until a nutrient spike occurred when moving rocks to a different tank. Would briopsis stay small and dormant the explode like that?

John kennington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5590.JPG
The spot in question is below the green mushroom on the top left near the magfloat and above the rock with the forest green mushrooms on the bottom left. This was taken on may 8th. It has been on this rock for 2 years with no growth until a nutrient spike occurred when moving rocks to a different tank. Would briopsis stay small and dormant the explode like that?
It looks like it too me. Mine stayed real small to until moving a tank. Now it's running wild. I'm dosing with fluc the day it comes in.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm following along, looking to order soon, thanks.

Anyone here successfuly cure John and I's type of briopsis with this treatment? The non fern type

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My net must be blocking them, lol!
Do you have a link of one that convinced you, that you could share? Thanks!!

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched mike high reefers fix, his video showed up close algea and it looks identical. A tang cleaned it up and it hasn't returned. Maybe I should try this first and just DBTC the fish to my local reef club after. I still haven't seen a positive ID from the video you suggested. I need a 100% ID personally as a scientist to okay the use of this medicine.

John kennington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a scientist. But in my opinion I have it and I'm going to year what I have with it. If it doesn't kill anything else as there have been no reports that it does what will it hurt.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final Post:

After a week and a half, my results are:
The Good: no visible bryo = success
The Bad: 3 Milleporas dead, and 2 other Acros RIP (RTN), all the rest of the corals seems fine. That was not nice since one of the milles I have it from 1 inch frag, and it was like 5 inches and shining before Fluc. Only 1 millepora survive.

If you have delicate acros, REMOVE THEM from the trank, No montiporas, or other SPS (including other acros, poci, stylo, seria) looks with problems. LPS and Soft corals all fine.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many others have had SPS die after? Is there a summary of the OPs or other people's experiences yet? If I wasn't tending to so much the last 3 months I would be more on it, apologies if this has been covered.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many others have had SPS die after? Is there a summary of the OPs or other people's experiences yet? If I wasn't tending to so much the last 3 months I would be more on it, apologies if this has been covered.
NCreef posted most of his results on the very first page of the thread. The rest of his results are throughout the earlier posts in the thread. Many others have also posted results throughout the thread giving feedback and a summary of their experience with fluconazole.
There were a few instances where someone lost a coral or 2 but if I remember correctly, they were not able to link it directly to fluconazole. A lot of people were also using other methods for nutrient reduction, such as carbon dosing or making other changes at the same time in conjunction.
As far as I know from the threads, people I know personally and myself, fluconazole has been used with a variety of tank inhabitants. Everything from a variety of softies, lps, sps, clams, gorgonians, featherdusters, nudibranchs, pipe fish, a wide variety of invertibrates and fish.
A lot of people have reported back with positive results for the most part but many others haven't updated the poll or posted back anything. People that I know personally have had good results as well with no ill effects on their tanks. One person had to dose a second treatment in 2 of his 4 tanks. I had an issue with a recurrence in one of my tanks probably due to adding new corals that I got. I retreated that tank. The other tank which houses many of the inhabitants that I listed have all thrived throughout and after the treatment. I haven't had any new outbreaks of bryopsis in that tank either. I also haven't added anything to it as well.
You would have to read through this thread or the other one to confirm what others that have treated as to any specifics related to sps and fluconazole being the cause of death.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do more reading, thank you for the low down.
No problem. It's a long thread now but the majority of the posts have positive feedback. Some had to repeat the treatment. In some of those cases it was for trying to rid GHA. The results have been mixed on GHA. The main purpose of this treatment is for bryopsis and those cases are more of an extension of the primary purpose of fluconazole here.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick follow up, just got my Triton Lab test back (I took it 1 week ago with Fluc in the system), and everything looks normal, so Fluconazole was the resposable (so far) of my sps RTN. But again, in my 300g tank I have about 20 different acropora species, and 2 only where afected (Milleporas & Spatulata), I have other Acros started with STN but stopped now (after AC). Also I notice that the calcium uptake is slower now (meaning less growth rate).

But bryo free now. Hope it helps for others with delicate SPS

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick follow up, just got my Triton Lab test back (I took it 1 week ago with Fluc in the system), and everything looks normal, so Fluconazole was the resposable (so far) of my sps RTN. But again, in my 300g tank I have about 20 different acropora species, and 2 only where afected (Milleporas & Spatulata), I have other Acros started with STN but stopped now (after AC). Also I notice that the calcium uptake is slower now (meaning less growth rate).

But bryo free now. Hope it helps for others with delicate SPS
Good to hear that you were able to rid your tank of bryopsis. Too bad you lost a few corals during the treatment though.
Since we are compiling data throughout this thread to possibly be used for future treatments and possible interactions with fluconazole, I'm curious about a few things during your treatment.
Did you continue running biopellets throughout? You did state that you were dosing vinegar previously and reduced it by 90 percent. Did you continue to run your UV sterilizer as well? Did you continue dosing bleach during the treatment? You also posted that you reduced nitrates, if I read correctly, from 15 to 1 around a month before this treatment. What methods did you use? You also removed your GAC, did you bring it back online during the treatment?
Would just like more info about your entire process in conjunction with fluconazole.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back