Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flucon arrived in the mail today. 125G w/55G sump - I estimate my water volume at 150G. I did the math and the 3,000mg landed between the "low" dose for my highest volume estimate and the "high" dose for my lowest volume estimate, so I figure it's safe all around.

GFO reactor running, as usual.
Skimmer cup off, skimmer turned all the way down to avoid overflowing - will play this by ear, I have run without it for a week+ before, so no worries there.
Filter sock removed for a couple days - will replace when I begin to see dieoff
no GAC, biopellets, etc on system.

Mixed inhabitants, half a dozen varieties of snails, various crabs and hermit crabs, BTA, corals of all flavors, SPS, LPS, zoa, mushrooms, ricordea (florida and yuma), BTA, wrasses, tangs, clownfish, royal gramma, orchid dottyback, serpent and brittle starts (large and small), sea cucumbers -think that covers it.
Chaeto in refugium. Lit 24/7 with 96W LED grow light

I have a combination of Bryopsis and GHA, primarily in high-light areas. If this kills the Bryopsis I will be happy. I have beaten GHA before and can beat it again once the Bryopsis is not throwing my parameters out of whack. The pictures below show a FTS ad pictures of the two worst areas, at the top of each island, far left and far right.

Added 15 capsules with return pumps off to maximize initial contact time - will turn back on in an hour or two
DAY ZERO:

I believe that this medication works by binding with other substances in the algae, which is why some people get different results with different doses. It is not a matter of "X mg per gallon" but a matter of "X mg per gram of algae." If you have little algae and dose light you may have success, if you have lots of algae you may not and may have to dose again. This is assuming nothing else strips the medication from the water before it can be absorbed by the algae.

Good luck with the treatment. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my dosing, for my system i would need 274 mg. This is calculated with the 1 gallon /20 mg formula.
My question is, i have the fluconazol in 50 mg caps...can i take 6 caps with a total of 300 mg to dose? This would make it easier for me to dose.

I have calculated my water volume by the water height and tank measurments, i did not discount my liferock ... i guess it would be around 15 pounds. I don't want to dose to low, that's why i didn't discount them.
Could this be an overdose?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my dosing, for my system i would need 274 mg. This is calculated with the 1 gallon /20 mg formula.
My question is, i have the fluconazol in 50 mg caps...can i take 6 caps with a total of 300 mg to dose? This would make it easier for me to dose.

I have calculated my water volume by the water height and tank measurments, i did not discount my liferock ... i guess it would be around 15 pounds. I don't want to dose to low, that's why i didn't discount them.
Could this be an overdose?

300mg will be fine. There were some people using a lot more mgs per gallon over seas in the beginning but I went with the lower dose of 20mg/gallon and it worked.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300mg will be fine. There were some people using a lot more mgs per gallon over seas in the beginning but I went with the lower dose of 20mg/gallon and it worked.

Okay, thank you! I leave the chaeto in the reactor, and let the system run as it is now for 2 weeks without a water change.
How much water do i change after the 2 weeks? (sorry if this has been written down somewhere).

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thank you! I leave the chaeto in the reactor, and let the system run as it is now for 2 weeks without a water change.
How much water do i change after the 2 weeks? (sorry if this has been written down somewhere).

It depends on if your bryopsis is dead or not. You may need to let it go longer than two weeks(some waited a month to be sure) to kill all of it. Once you're finished with the treatment,go back to your normal water change schedule.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the treatment. Keep us informed on how it goes.
At 48hrs algae is very obviously beginning to die - turning white and brown, areas are beginning to lie down. I will track progress over the next few days and post pictures when there is something good to show.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 48hrs algae is very obviously beginning to die - turning white and brown, areas are beginning to lie down. I will track progress over the next few days and post pictures when there is something good to show.

Sounds good. I'm glad it's working for you.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if your bryopsis is dead or not. You may need to let it go longer than two weeks(some waited a month to be sure) to kill all of it. Once you're finished with the treatment,go back to your normal water change schedule.

Okay thanks mate!

Fred Phipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 months after treating, I am seeing some bryopsis coming back. Anyone else have this happen? Sorry if they already posted about this but I wasn't about to read through 204 pages lol

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 months after treating, I am seeing some bryopsis coming back. Anyone else have this happen? Sorry if they already posted about this but I wasn't about to read through 204 pages lol

There have been a few who have come back and said that they had bryopsis again. Some said that they may have brought more in on some frags that they had gotten while a couple said that they don't think that they killed all of it the first go around.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NCReefguy, this is why, pretty early on, I asked to improve (in my opnion) the poll by removing the currently using option. No feedback required...I know you did not want to change your poll, and why. LOL. xxoo. No hard feelings. Looking at the "yes it worked" vs the "no" options I would say it has an efficacy rate greater than most drugs for human use for illness are required to have for FDA approval. I think it can be counted as a cure. If this were set up with the standards in a bouble blind study I believe it would prove to be effective.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NCReefguy, this is why, pretty early on, I asked to improve (in my opnion) the poll by removing the currently using option. No feedback required...I know you did not want to change your poll, and why. LOL. xxoo. No hard feelings. Looking at the "yes it worked" vs the "no" options I would say it has an efficacy rate greater than most drugs for human use for illness are required to have for FDA approval. I think it can be counted as a cure. If this were set up with the standards in a bouble blind study I believe it would prove to be effective.

I actually couldn't edit the poll once it was created. :D or at least all I could do was add options to it but couldn't take any away for some reason.

stinkyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my experience. I'm at day 12 and almost completely wiped out! I added a 2nd PP-15 to get the water churning. All corals, fish doing fine. Zoas, Acans, Acroporas, Birdsnest, Rics, Hammer, moniporas, you get the idea. This stuff worked. I bought the 10 pill pack and have a 90g with 40b sump. Kept carbon reactor off for 7 days and decided I needed to get some funk smell out of the water. I'm doing a water change either today or tomorrow. It took about 5 days to really start to see it progress and when I saw a lot of grey bush I knew it was working. I was using Vibrant and a lot of cyno developed but I read that was expected. I'm still waiting for everything to disappear and really am grateful for everyone who contributed to this thread and what a fabulous thing this product is!

Can I do a dose of chemiclean?

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my experience. I'm at day 12 and almost completely wiped out! I added a 2nd PP-15 to get the water churning. All corals, fish doing fine. Zoas, Acans, Acroporas, Birdsnest, Rics, Hammer, moniporas, you get the idea. This stuff worked. I bought the 10 pill pack and have a 90g with 40b sump. Kept carbon reactor off for 7 days and decided I needed to get some funk smell out of the water. I'm doing a water change either today or tomorrow. It took about 5 days to really start to see it progress and when I saw a lot of grey bush I knew it was working. I was using Vibrant and a lot of cyno developed but I read that was expected. I'm still waiting for everything to disappear and really am grateful for everyone who contributed to this thread and what a fabulous thing this product is!

Can I do a dose of chemiclean?

That's great news!! I'm glad everything made it through the treatment.
I would probably wait a few more days to make sure that all of the algae is gone. Some people wait 3 or even 4 weeks before doing a water change just to make sure.
I waited a week or two after my treatment before running some chemiclean just to run one treatment at a time but there have been others who said that they ran them together or back to back without any issues.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing today, i'm curious how it will go on in the comming days.
Hopefully it kills all of it, so tired to clean all my frags with a mini brush every couple of weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back