Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago I did two treatments with fluconazole. It wiped out my Bryopsis, but did not help with my hair algae. It's been about 4 months, and the hair algae battle is finally tipping in my direction. However, suddenly the bryopsis is back.

It was a great treatment, but not a cure for me.

Mine came back after a month or so as well (bryopsis). Treating with reef hd fluconazole. I'm gonna give it another shot here soon.

aquaregia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my studies on the content of ergosterol in green algae, after observing the effect of fluconazole on the algae in my aquarium (2013/2014), I found that some algae have more than one route of synthesis in their metabolism for the production of ergosterol. .. this has made me think that an underdosing of fluconazole may allow algae to activate an alternative pathway, and allow it to survive. With this in mind, and after making sure there would be no damage to the aquarium animals, I opted for the single dose treatment, in a dosage sufficient to block the preferred route of synthesis, "without there being time for the alga to using alternative ways ". The first dose I worked on was 150 mg / 30 liters and, finding some resistance in the alga Derbésia sp., I increased the dosage to 9 mg / liter, with success.

Evolutionarily conserved Δ25(27)-olefin ergosterol biosynthesis pathway in the alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii

There is a close relationship between ergosterol synthesis pathways and allelochemical diterpenoids that inhibit herbivory, so Bryopsis sp. and Derbésia sp., which are generally not attacked by herbivores, are then attacked by herbivores under the effect of fluconazole.

Best regards
This is some great information in that the flucon treatment doesn't just attack algae, but also alters allelochemical diterpinoids that inhibit herbivory. If I understand correctly, this means is that CUCs, tangs, and other herbivores then find the algae palatable and can further enhance it eradication. Thanks to Dr Mayo for applying some real science to a problem that has plagued reef keepers for many years!!

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some great information in that the flucon treatment doesn't just attack algae, but also alters allelochemical diterpinoids that inhibit herbivory. If I understand correctly, this means is that CUCs, tangs, and other herbivores then find the algae palatable and can further enhance it eradication. Thanks to Dr Mayo for applying some real science to a problem that has plagued reef keepers for many years!!

Thanks to all of you, who with persistence and dedication have taken the information to all the aquarists of the world. It took three years, until the information came to you, with the disclosure of your experiments the information today is already disseminated from Europe to Japan and from China to Australia.

The "strength" of your vehicle is planetary!

Best Regards

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have bryopsis. I think it is time to take control of it before it gets out of control. I have a 65g tank. 62lbs of live rock and about 1 1/2" sand bed. No sump or refugium. Just a cheato reactor HOB, protein skimmer HOB, and FLUVAL C4 HOB. I am guessing the water volume is at 64g due to the water in the skimmer and reactor.

What would be the correct dosing, how many times a day, where should I buy it from, and for how long?

I would normally do the math from what has been used as a guideline in this thread. I would appreciate the help from someone who is experienced and successful with the treatment. Map it out and I will do it. I am not trying to rid GHA. Just loving the results people are showing of dying bryopsis. Thanks for the help!

IMG_20171216_084659.jpg

IMG_20171216_084519.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did @ReefHD change the dosage recommendation when they changed names? No wonder mine came back. I should have paid closer attention to the dosage recommendations here. I used half of what I apparently needed. Oh well, my fault, gonna try again today at 1 capsule per 10 gallons, instead of 1 capsule per 20 gallons! :) 20mg per gallon

ReefManKen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did @ReefHD change the dosage recommendation when they changed names? No wonder mine came back. I should have paid closer attention to the dosage recommendations here. I used half of what I apparently needed. Oh well, my fault, gonna try again today at 1 capsule per 10 gallons, instead of 1 capsule per 20 gallons! :) 20mg per gallon

Combine your tank size and sump size and multiply it by 20mg per gallon so if you have a 65g tank and 10g sump than 75g x 20mg = 1500mg if fluconazole. So 7.5 capsules mixed in RODI water shut reactors down close them off and turn skimmer off u:v is the only thing that won’t affext it. Remove any carbon in the system as well. 15 days and it should be gone. Then you do the water change and can restart your gear. Good luck

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combine your tank size and sump size and multiply it by 20mg per gallon so if you have a 65g tank and 10g sump than 75g x 20mg = 1500mg if fluconazole. So 7.5 capsules mixed in RODI water shut reactors down close them off and turn skimmer off u:v is the only thing that won’t affext it. Remove any carbon in the system as well. 15 days and it should be gone. Then you do the water change and can restart your gear. Good luck
So for me 65g x 20mg= 1,300mg.
How many capsules is that?
And is that all in one cup of tank water mixed well and dump that all in at once and leave the tank for 15 days?
Meaning the treatment is only 1 dose of 1,300mg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - 200 mg capsule per 10 gal so that would be 6 1/2 capsules
Use RODI not tank water, pour it in a high flow area and leave it in the tank for 14-21 days before water change.
And yes, one treatment for Bryopsis

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for me 65g x 20mg= 1,300mg.
How many capsules is that?
And is that all in one cup of tank water mixed well and dump that all in at once and leave the tank for 15 days?
Meaning the treatment is only 1 dose of 1,300mg

Yes 1300 is what I would do. All in one cup of tank water. Mix it up and pour it in. Do it when your lights are out. You are going to lose it when you see your tank transform. Especially if your main issue is Bryopsis. Mine was gone within a week. Now hair algae has been a bit more stubborn but the results have been excellent. Im on day 14 an bryopsis is 100% gone and hair algae about 50% and still dying. Best part had 0 effect on my corals and also Chaeto.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14

Bryopsis 100% gone. Hair algae very brown and brittle and about 50-60% gone. Looking so much better. I ended up pulling out a few loose pieces. I cant believe how awesome this worked and is continuously working. Anyone on the fence on this don't hesitate and get your beautiful tank back. All coral are fine and also chaeto still thriving.

20171216_160343.jpg

20171216_160350.jpg

20171216_160354.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 1300 is what I would do. All in one cup of tank water. Mix it up and pour it in. Do it when your lights are out. You are going to lose it when you see your tank transform. Especially if your main issue is Bryopsis. Mine was gone within a week. Now hair algae has been a bit more stubborn but the results have been excellent. Im on day 14 an bryopsis is 100% gone and hair algae about 50% and still dying. Best part had 0 effect on my corals and also Chaeto.
awesome to hear about your results. Any suggested place to get the pills from?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome to hear about your results. Any suggested place to get the pills from?

I think a lot of guys get them from payless pets. But premium aquatics is selling Reef hd reef flux, which is fluconazole.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now I am confused.
Directions says on the site: Add 1 pre-dissolved capsule (200 mg) into aquarium for every 10 gallons of water to be treated. Repeat every 24 hours for 5 consecutive days. It is suggested that a partial water change be made between treatments. Discontinue use if no improvement is noted after 5 days.
Which is it. One dose of 6 1/2 capsules once total and wait 14 days to do a water change or one dose of 6 1/2 capsules everyday for 5 days?

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay now I am confused.
Directions says on the site: Add 1 pre-dissolved capsule (200 mg) into aquarium for every 10 gallons of water to be treated. Repeat every 24 hours for 5 consecutive days. It is suggested that a partial water change be made between treatments. Discontinue use if no improvement is noted after 5 days.
Which is it. One dose of 6 1/2 capsules once total and wait 14 days to do a water change or one dose of 6 1/2 capsules everyday for 5 days?

The treatment for algae is from a single dose of 20 mg / gallon or 200 mg (01 tablet/capsule) to 10 gallons. The 5-day treatment refers to fungi, not algae.

Best Regards

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I think my LFS has it. This is going to be my Christmas present to myself and the tank. Thank you everyone for clarifying it up and dose amount. I will post some results pictures when I start it up. Wish me luck and once again thank you!

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Great thread. Gonna try this myself.
I am using fauna marin zeolight system so just wondering if anyone using this or zeovit has tried doing this treatment ?? Apart from taking carbon offline should the zeovit reactor be also taken offline ??

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that's way less than what i came up with before. I have 360g so 26 pills at 200mg each. Interesting.

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question I treated a while back maybe 6 months or so I'd have to read back in the thread. I had a pretty large resurgence over the last few weeks month so I dosed again last week. Took my skimmer offline as well as carbon. 3 days in noticing a big difference already and my anenome that I have had for 3 years withered up and died. I'm not saying this is related to the treatment at all because I have dosed before with no issues. I immediately did an 80 gallon water change on a 300-gallon system hit my skimmer on added charcoal. So my question is how soon can I redose? Everything in the tank survived the anemone dying.

I was thinking about doing another water change tomorrow and then redosing. It has been 5 days since it died.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back