Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this for my turf algae. It took 21 days, but it worked, at least for a few weeks. Now the turf algae has come back just like before. I'm debating whether to do this treatment again. Last time it led to STN of one of my acros - a cali tort (all others were fine). I'm thinking it was due to the rise in phosphates. What is the current thinking regarding how long to leave the skimmer off? If I try this again, how should I deal with nutrient export? Why does the ATS need to be sterilized? If I left the flow to it on, wouldn't that do the same thing? The fluco would kill whatever algae was on there, right (in essence sterilizing it)? I'm wavering on this because although the turf algae is ugly, it isn't killing my corals. The loss of the cali tort last go around was a real bummer.

GHA,turf algae,bubble algae are different than Bryopsis algae. Bryopsis algae will not return if you kill all of the Bryopsis cells unless you reintroduce it into your tank. The others (like yours) can/will return once you stop treating your tank and perform water changes to remove the meds. Fluconazole doesn't change the conditions in your tank that allowed for the algae growth in the first place once it's removed. Removing the meds just sends your tank back to the same conditons that you had before the treatment. If your using Fluconazole for something other than Bryopsis and wonder why GHA/turf/bubble algae comes back after you stop using Flucon, this is the reason. I notice that you voted NO on the poll but the poll is for Bryopsis algae not turf algae.This is happening as well.People are killing other forms of algae with Flucon but if/when it comes back after they stop using it,they think that the treatment didn't work and vote no but it did work,they just removed the meds and sent their tank back to the same conditions as before the treatment.We were trying to get results from the treatment for Bryopsis only in the poll.Don't take this post as a beat down or anything like that because that's not the way it's intended.There's just a misunderstanding as to what this treatment does and doesn't do.It can kill other forms of algae but it's not meant to be a one time treatment then never have any other form of algae every again in your tank regardless of its condition.

Most people still have algae on their ATS so while running the treatment it will die off and just cause excess nutrient build up so we say to remove it. Sterilizing was just to make sure that no Bryopsis cells where still there.You can perform water changes during the treatment if your nutrient levels are raised,just replace the meds that you remove.Once the algae is dead you can also run a low dose continuous use if you want to keep the algae away.If not,you'll have to address the issues you have as to why it's there in the first place or once again,when you stop the treatment ,the turf algae can return. It could be a number of problems;Excessive nutrients,not enough clean up crew.Here's a post to explain the low dose usage that we are working with..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...sing-fluconazole.285096/page-246#post-4476547

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and remove my vote then.
I can't edit your vote only you or a mod can.

We can still help you with your algae problem if you post some pics and more info about your tank. Lighting,flow,cleanup crew,feedings, tank parameters.Do you use RO/DI water? Nutrient export methods...

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize the poll was that important, but I guess it is since you called me out on it. There is no option to remove it so I changed it to the last option. I posted about my turf issue in a different thread since this one is just on bryopsis.

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize the poll was that important, but I guess it is since you called me out on it. There is no option to remove it so I changed it to the last option. I posted about my turf issue in a different thread since this one is just on bryopsis.

No harm done at all.We were just trying to get an idea of tanks with Bryopsis but keep getting votes for other algae. We get pm's and posts saying..See it didn't work for this person or this person and then we have to keep explaining that this person didn't have Bryopsis to begin with.

Chris Jakubowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried reef flux. Or what brand to buy that has the best results.

I treated my tank for £10 from here http://bryopsisfluconazole.com

Within 3 days the bryopsis from my sump behind the Xenia is turning white

Chaeto and other tank corals all doing super with full polyp extensions

Setting my kessil h380 from 8 to 12 hours caused the bloom in that area of my sump

14C645DB-268E-4308-8596-F32641D44E20.jpeg

E524429B-B8D7-4268-A194-E4A02D38C33B.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe I have a type of Bryopsis. It is different looking vs the first time I got rid of it about a year ago. I had been battling hair algae and picked up an ATS. The ATS did a great job of eliminating my hair algae, but then I noticed this other algae growing and spreading. It has the root like structure of Bryopsis, its just a much lighter color vs the Bryopsis I battled before. It seems to only grow on my rocks and sand. I do have a larger grain sand. If I try to remove from the sand it forms a mat like structure with the roots. So I had 10 of the 200mg pills left over from my previous dosing and my current setup has 100 gallons so I decided to dose the tank today. I'm going to leave my ATS running. I did clean the screen and scrap most of the algae off of it. The last time I used the Fluconazole it didn't kill my hair algae on the first go round, so we will see how the ATS reacts to the med.
IMG_6930.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe I have a type of Bryopsis. It is different looking vs the first time I got rid of it about a year ago. I had been battling hair algae and picked up an ATS. The ATS did a great job of eliminating my hair algae, but then I noticed this other algae growing and spreading. It has the root like structure of Bryopsis, its just a much lighter color vs the Bryopsis I battled before. It seems to only grow on my rocks and sand. I do have a larger grain sand. If I try to remove from the sand it forms a mat like structure with the roots. So I had 10 of the 200mg pills left over from my previous dosing and my current setup has 100 gallons so I decided to dose the tank today. I'm going to leave my ATS running. I did clean the screen and scrap most of the algae off of it. The last time I used the Fluconazole it didn't kill my hair algae on the first go round, so we will see how the ATS reacts to the med.
IMG_6930.JPG
IMG_6932.JPG
We've had a few tanks take a couple of months to kill some forms of GHA.Not all strains go away easily that's for sure but we have seen most of it die with time. Your algae is definitely different looking.Can you pull some of it from the rocks and get a lighted pic with a white background(if possible)? Maybe @Jose Mayo can help identify it.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had a few tanks take a couple of months to kill some forms of GHA.Not all strains go away easily that's for sure but we have seen most of it die with time. Your algae is definitely different looking.Can you pull some of it from the rocks and get a lighted pic with a white background(if possible)? Maybe @Jose Mayo can help identify it.

Here you go. The one picture with the sand particles you can see the root type structure, it looks like a green line.
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. The one picture with the sand particles you can see the root type structure, it looks like a green line.
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6936.JPG
The structure of these algae resembles Caulerpa verticillata, is not Bryopsis, but contains ergosterol on its walls and is sensitive to fluconazole, although much more resistant to treatment than Bryopsis.

5229.jpeg

5230.jpeg

5790.jpeg

Regards

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The structure of these algae resembles Caulerpa verticillata, is not Bryopsis, but contains ergosterol on its walls and is sensitive to fluconazole, although much more resistant to treatment than Bryopsis.

5229.jpeg

5230.jpeg

5790.jpeg

Regards

Thanks! The pictures you posted the algae looks much larger, or is that just from being magnified?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know any store that ships to the UK that sells reef he reef flux algae buster?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been 5 days since dosing Fluconazole and briopsis has taken a huge hit. I’m also fairly certain that GHA is feeling the effects too. I’ve not seen any negative effects on coral or inverts. My red Goni has not been exhibiting and PE though. Not sure if that is the Fluconazole. I did feed it pretty heavy the day after dosing with reef roids so maybe that’s it.

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated: I am 20 days in. Bryopsis is gone. Green hair algae is mostly gone and the remaining patches are thinning out. All corals and fish show no effects from the fluconazole. I am doing water changes but am adding fluconazole to the changes to stamp out the remaining hair algae.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A6E9F90-DA2A-42A3-8BA2-B63FEEAB797C.jpeg
Bryopsis guys? It’s not stringy at all, it’s like a little bush when pulled off the rocks.

I just ordered 30 200ml pills a few minutes ago. Either way I’m tired of dealing with this stuff! Hopefully it will knock out whatever this stuff is.

James Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04B0A6E0-19FF-4596-920C-E934FE737462.jpeg
Guys please help identifying this algae. I started 20mg Fluconazole 2 days ago. Thanks for help. Great post!

mskohl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just wanted to check back. I dosed my tank back in August. I did the full 20mg/gal treatment for 14 days without a skimmer. Giant water change and wet skimming after day 14.
I have not had any bryopsis return and no gha. I had no corals or other critters suffer from the treatment.
(320g display, 120 sump - probably 300g of water volume. mixed reef with large messy fish)

OP
OP
NCreefguy

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Just wanted to check back. I dosed my tank back in August. I did the full 20mg/gal treatment for 14 days without a skimmer. Giant water change and wet skimming after day 14.
I have not had any bryopsis return and no gha. I had no corals or other critters suffer from the treatment.
(320g display, 120 sump - probably 300g of water volume. mixed reef with large messy fish)

This is great news! I'm glad the treatment worked for you. It's nice to be able to enjoy your tank without it being covered in algae isn't it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back