BTA Explosion, how to reduce the population?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one orange/green BTA for my clown fish. My clown fish are hosting in my leather (ARGH) but I now have 40 BTA's in my tank! How do I reduce/remove my BTA population? I DO react quite strong to BTA and if I touch them I do turn red and swell up. Once when I was cleaning my tank I must have brushed my BTA and I had a rash/red blotch for weeks!? I do have gloves to wear when inside tank.

Thanks!

BTA Explosion.jpg

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you can hang the rock upside down and they will let go of it to move. I would get a large container and fill it with fresh salt water and heat it and then start removing them outside the main tank. As for what to do with them, take them to a lfs. I bet you can get some good credit for them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want this problem. :*(
I am sorry you are allergic, do you have any family members who can help remove some? Know any lfs who will take any for store credit? Any friends who would like them?

Removal, someone will tell you how. I have yet to try.

Edit: what you feeding these bubble tips?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you can hang the rock upside down and they will let go of it to move. I would get a large container and fill it with fresh salt water and heat it and then start removing them outside the main tank. As for what to do with them, take them to a lfs. I bet you can get some good credit for them.
Don't think so, mine moved to be on the underside of a rock

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to hold the rock upside down, outside of your tank.... like over a bucket. They will eventually let go and drop into the bucket to stay wet.

When I did it, I had to slowly move the rock out of the water, so the bta would keep stretching to stay in the water. eventually, it let go.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have to hold the rock upside down, outside of your tank.... like over a bucket. They will eventually let go and drop into the bucket to stay wet.

When I did it, I had to slowly move the rock out of the water, so the bta would keep stretching to stay in the water. eventually, it let go.
OK that seems plausible but it is gonna destroy my rock work! Any time frame you can share? 5 mins / 30 mins / 1 hour?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that seems plausible but it is gonna destroy my rock work! Any time frame you can share? 5 mins / 30 mins / 1 hour?

it took over an hour. stubborn little buggers.

Mine was on a small rock, so I could set it on top of a large jar of salt water.... The rock would rest on the mouth of the jar. I put enough water in the jar so that the BTA was partially covered by water. After a few minutes, I would syphon a little water out, lowering the water level... he would stretch a little to stay in the water.... syphon out a little more, so he would stretch a little further, rinse, repeat.... until he finally let go of the rock and dropped into the jar.

it took longer than I would have thought.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the below has the pic I am asking for, this works great. It is basically a sponge and a piece of PVC. Place over the nem and it will crawl up the pipe towards the light. This can be repeated over and over. Nems are easy to remove from the pipe and no need to destroy your rock work.

@Lost in the Sauce do you still have the pic of the "Major Steve Nem Removal Tool"?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the below has the pic I am asking for, this works great. It is basically a sponge and a piece of PVC. Place over the nem and it will crawl up the pipe towards the light. This can be repeated over and over. Nems are easy to remove from the pipe and no need to destroy your rock work.

@Lost in the Sauce do you still have the pic of the "Major Steve Nem Removal Tool"?
One Nem Cannon, coming up!
PXL_20210713_211653273.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now there's some DIY awesomeness!
That style has removed who knows how many bubble nems over the years lol.

That is how I used to remove RFAs in Florida years and years ago when I was collecting them on a regular basis. Dive down, place them, come up, do some shallow water snorkeling and then come back a few hours later and collect. Been using it for pesky BTAs ever since.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased one orange/green BTA for my clown fish. My clown fish are hosting in my leather (ARGH) but I now have 40 BTA's in my tank! How do I reduce/remove my BTA population? I DO react quite strong to BTA and if I touch them I do turn red and swell up. Once when I was cleaning my tank I must have brushed my BTA and I had a rash/red blotch for weeks!? I do have gloves to wear when inside tank.

Thanks!

BTA Explosion.jpg
Wow too bad you are allergic, that looks awesome. I’ve heard of clowns claiming a tank but looks like the bta have claimed yours. If it was me I would ditch the corals and let the bta’s fill the tank but I’m not a big coral fan. But I also am allergic to cats but yet I still pick up my long haired Maine coon, hard to resist the cute fluff ball.

I know I’ve heard of a few tricks to get them to move, turkey baster at their feet, point a power head at them. Hopefully then you can grab them while they are on the move. Good luck, should make for some extra money if you can catch a bunch of them and sell or trade in at the lfs.

I’m sure someone else would love a tank full of bta’s. I’m still waiting on my rainbow bubble tip to split but it’s only been in there about a month, hosted by the female blood orange clown.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the post, but I live in LA, what do you give away? We are new to the hobby so always interested in potential freebies!
I would be happy to share my bounty of BTA's for a swap of another coral but I am in New Hampshire.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve,

I don't get what the sponge does? I have tons of PVC... I need a before / during / and after photo or a tad more guidance please?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle_Steve,

I don't get what the sponge does? I have tons of PVC... I need a before / during / and after photo or a tad more guidance please?
The sponge is to have a way to anchor the pipe to the rock and prevent the nem from crawling out from the sides around the pipe. Basically, it forces the nem to go up and not around.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back