BTA New tank vs Matured tank

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm interested in eventually putting a couple BTAs in my tank but want to research more on this exact subject. Many people say you need your tank to be mature (6-8months) to start adding any nems. But why exactly? I'm not necessarily asking for just opinions or past bad experiences but what exactly causes a nems to not thrive in a new tank vs an old tank? Where is there actual research of this idea? They get their nutrients from lighting, periodically feeding, and nutrients from the water column so what does a mature tank have that a new tank doesn't that is going to be beneficial to its health? Outside of your regular parameters what else could be an issue causing people to be unsuccessful with nems in new tanks? I ask this because although people suggest having a mature tank I also see people post about adding a BTA to a 1 day, 1 month, 2 month, and 3 month old tanks with good success so what are they doing differently? It's obviously possible I'm just trying to research the cause of failure with nems in new tanks.
RBTA are a scourge of my tank's existence. I have a 300G mature SPS reef and can not kill the anemones. I scrape and scrape and cut them out, only to see a dozen new ones pop up all over. They mostly don't bother the coral until it's sweeping the base of the coral, slowly causing tissue rescession and impeding growth. But yes, you can have them together but they are annoying.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added my BTA and haddoni carpet at about 2 months using dry rock and dr tim's bacteria. they are both still alive today (14-15 mos later). I did do A LOT of research and reading through ReefCentral and here before I got them both. Stability is KEY.
Watch your language young man, we don't say those words here :p
RBTA are a scourge of my tank's existence. I have a 300G mature SPS reef and can not kill the anemones. I scrape and scrape and cut them out, only to see a dozen new ones pop up all over. They mostly don't bother the coral until it's sweeping the base of the coral, slowly causing tissue rescession and impeding growth. But yes, you can have them together but they are annoying.
Agreed, I have a 260g sps dominant and I just got done moving a digi because a bta was sweeping the bottom few branches. They grow like weeds!

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d this go? I’m 1 month in on my new tank after keeping my old tank 2 years. Looking to move the bta in at some point. Thinking after a few more weeks of stability it should be fine?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d this go? I’m 1 month in on my new tank after keeping my old tank 2 years. Looking to move the bta in at some point. Thinking after a few more weeks of stability it should be fine?

image.jpg
So far, good. Mine did eventually move slightly under a ledge which I dont fully understand cause he is in an area with only about 130-150par but idk as long as he is happy im fine with it. Foot is still anchored good, mouth isn't pursed up, and he has colored up nicely. Im gonna order some filters for my camera in the next month or two and when I get them I will update with better pictures and growth.

bphillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give feedback on how the nem did? I am in the same position as you now and would love your feedback etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back