BTA Split, Not Looking So Hot

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night it appears my BTA Split. I've only seen two so far. It wasn't particularly big to begin with, maybe 3-4".

This being my first anenome, I'm not sure if it's looking this way because it split, or if it split because of the tank conditions. Due to a cracked skimmer (epoxy is curing) my water quality has degraded, though I've been doing water changes and reduced feeding to try and compensate.

Before and after shots. The before was before my skimmer cracked, no more recent photos.

DSC_2750.JPG DSC_2533.JPG

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the last picture it looks fine and like it just split. I just let mine be for a couple weeks after splitting and make sure not to feed them so they don’t get a bacterial infection. They may deflate more than normal but that’s generally fine they’re just expelling wastes. Just keep an eye on them but you should be fine. I have one that gets massive before it splits and then I have another that I got 2-3 months ago that split fairly small but both halves are back to normal and are just small from the split.

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the last picture it looks fine and like it just split. I just let mine be for a couple weeks after splitting and make sure not to feed them so they don’t get a bacterial infection. They may deflate more than normal but that’s generally fine they’re just expelling wastes. Just keep an eye on them but you should be fine. I have one that gets massive before it splits and then I have another that I got 2-3 months ago that split fairly small but both halves are back to normal and are just small from the split.

Marmoset32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my BTA split it always looks deflated- I leave it alone for a few weeks to heal. from your picture it looks fine. try not to poke at it or make any changes to your tank.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thanks everyone. I'll keep an eye on it, and update if there's any problems. The only change I'll be doing for a while is reinstalling the skimmer once the epoxy cures.

Super cool, my one $100 BTA is now two $80 BTAs! Judging by my Lfs prices.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks you have some pretty bad algae going on. What are your parameters? Guessing the split was due to stress and a survival move instead of a positive thing.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever my BTA split it always looks deflated- I leave it alone for a few weeks to heal. from your picture it looks fine. try not to poke at it or make any changes to your tank.
Why do they split? Mine never has. Is it a good thing or bad thing?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they split? Mine never has. Is it a good thing or bad thing?
It can be either of those. Some split due to stress and survival instinct(not good) some split for reproduction.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks you have some pretty bad algae going on. What are your parameters? Guessing the split was due to stress and a survival move instead of a positive thing.

I genuinely do not know beyond temp and salinity. My test kits got wrecked, and I have more on order.

Likely the nitrates are higher than ideal, as it's likely not a coincidence this happened two days after my protein skimmer quit on me. I got it January 3rd and it hadn't moved more than 6" and was almost always inflated, if not bubbled. Those I do know.
Temp 77
Salinity 1.025
Last nitrate test a few weeks back was 20.

you need some emerald crabs or something toeat that bubble algae. i like the look of bubble algae but as you can see it is a nuisance

Unfortunately my moray eel would looooove it if I threw a bunch of emeralds in there.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better, if not spectacular today. Neither have really moved much. They seem to like that spot.

Also, ugh, nuisance algae. So glad I am upgrading tanks and sterilizing this one.

Attachments

• DSC_2776.JPG
    DSC_2776.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 27

lowellb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didnt have Algae and phosphates, my lawnmower blenny and my tiger tail cucumber would die.

You cannot judge a tank based on the presence of Algae, the Algae is how the cycle works.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didnt have Algae and phosphates, my lawnmower blenny and my tiger tail cucumber would die.

You cannot judge a tank based on the presence of Algae, the Algae is how the cycle works.
The amount of algae show in the pics is well beyond what you're suggesting. I've had a lawnmower for years and still strive for no algae at all. With the amount shown in the pics it will be sapping the nutrients from the water. What you're suggesting is not correct.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back