BTA vs GSP

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some GSP isolated on an island. I’m thinking for my wife’s anemone tank, I’d like to go bare bottom but put GSP on the bottom glass almost like grass and and then have BTAs up in the rock work.

Obviously the GSP will eventually grow to the rockwork. Would the BTA sting the GSP enough to prevent some overgrowth or should I use square frag tiles and replace as needed? I’m thinking the second option is best for controllability or should I put a line of Favia’s between the GSP and Rockwork as a second line of defense?

Hunter2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have some GSP isolated on an island. I’m thinking for my wife’s anemone tank, I’d like to go bare bottom but put GSP on the bottom glass almost like grass and and then have BTAs up in the rock work.

Obviously the GSP will eventually grow to the rockwork. Would the BTA sting the GSP enough to prevent some overgrowth or should I use square frag tiles and replace as needed? I’m thinking the second option is best for controllability or should I put a line of Favia’s between the GSP and Rockwork as a second line of defense?
Gsp grows very fast, faster then favia and nems usually. Would it bother you if some got on the Rockwork? If not then I would say let it go wild and just get the nice sea of green against the bright red/orange bta's

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, GSP will grow over almost anything. I've never heard of doing a "lawn" of GSP on a bare bottom tank, but I suppose that could look pretty cool. To avoid it getting onto the rocks, you could suspend the rocks off the bottom using an egg crate floor that raised off the bottom using some type of spacers. You'd probably need to glue the rocks to make sure everything is stable. In any case, that might look pretty cool...and aquascape that is kind of floating above a green GSP sea!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, GSP will grow over almost anything. I've never heard of doing a "lawn" of GSP on a bare bottom tank, but I suppose that could look pretty cool. To avoid it getting onto the rocks, you could suspend the rocks off the bottom using an egg crate floor that raised off the bottom using some type of spacers. You'd probably need to glue the rocks to make sure everything is stable. In any case, that might look pretty cool...and aquascape that is kind of floating above a green GSP sea!
My GSP can reach 4 or 5 inches without being attached to anything.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “farm” it on the back glass.
GSP comes off glass easy with a blade.
It’s when it gets on rock that it becomes a problem.
E032CBF7-E3B4-4312-B506-9A702FA28FE1.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far. I honestly wouldn’t care if it hit the rockwork but my wife might.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my life, the only thing my wife doesn't wield dictatorial power over are my reef tanks. Weep for me.
Lol see her thing is if there’s an anemone, we have to get it if she thinks we have room, so I’m slowly working towards getting her her own anemone tank. My tank already has 3 tube anemones, a Curley Que, a rainbow BTA and an LTA.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back