BT's reef WB 45.2

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers! I finally starting a build thread for my Waterbox 45.2 that was bought used.

Gear So far:
Reef Octo VarioS-2 Pump
AI prime HD x2
Neo-Therm 75w
Tunze Osmolator 3155 (Still need to hook this up)
Clear Vue Lid
Nyos 120
AI Nero 5 pump

Current Stock:
2 clowns
2 PJ Cardinals
1 Purple Firefish
5 Hermits
7 Trocas snails
3 Nessarius snails

Coral all Soft:
1 mushroom
Kenya Tree
Purple Gorgonian
Pulsing Xenia
GSP

I think I have most of the gear situated. Need to hook up the ATO and dial in the skimmer/return pump. I am using the return pump on its lowest setting at this time.

I loved MikeC's REEFTANK that he posts on Youtube! So I am going to get a few leathers and a few more different soft corals and start in this direction. I also plan on moving the main rock in the middle into the sump when the tank matures a bit more. It was basically from my nano and figured the clowns would like the familiar look of the rockscape while they acclimated to their new tank.

I had started out with a 10g cube and moved the clowns and inverts into this tank about 2 months ago.

Thanks for checking it out!

45close.jpg 45far.jpg 45skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update and a few questions to the community!
I recently added a bubble tip anemone and before that had added a Leather coral.
Lighting
2 x HD Prime's
I am currently running the Saxby program. In the app I have lowered the intensity to at its peak around 25%. I recently increased this from a bit under 20%. I started seeing algae growing on the sand bed. My question is my intensity way to low considering its a shallow tank and there are 2 primes? I don't want things to get out of control at this point things are somewhat stable. Stable being relative, I have not noticed any growth of coraline algae and the tank is 6 months old now.

Thanks for the input!

tank 122619.jpg tank 122619_2.jpg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on the tank? any major issues? just bought the same one!

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YO @jdubya ! Things are going great I have not had any issues with the tank or stand. Just trying to keep up with my water changes! I feed about every other day, a cube of frozen. I am reading close to 0 on the phosphates with the hanna but my nitrates are around 10. That Kenya tree is starting to drop a bunch lately.
WB40June2020.jpg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YO @jdubya ! Things are going great I have not had any issues with the tank or stand. Just trying to keep up with my water changes! I feed about every other day, a cube of frozen. I am reading close to 0 on the phosphates with the hanna but my nitrates are around 10. That Kenya tree is starting to drop a bunch lately.
WB40June2020.jpg
Looks awesome, careful with those low phosphates, still running the nyos skimmer? How's it working out? Debating if I want to run one or just an algae scrubber instead

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos skimmer is doing well. I clean it maybe once a week, and it's not very much. I have been feeding way to low. I imagine this will start to pick up with more organics in the water. I also bought a little algae scrubber from Santa Monica, the HOG1 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber. It's growing very slowly. As I said, though, it's probably due to my low feeding and low nutrients in the water.

The plan is to increase to 2 times day feedings for a couple of weeks, then feed once a day and see if we can maintain this way.

Its been fun figuring this stuff out, and since I have been working from home now with COVID, I get to stare at it all day long while I'm working. I am now starting to get an itch for a larger tank, but for space reasons, I can't go much larger. Its been about one year since I bought my first 10g Waterbox for the clown fish.

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos skimmer is doing well. I clean it maybe once a week, and it's not very much. I have been feeding way to low. I imagine this will start to pick up with more organics in the water. I also bought a little algae scrubber from Santa Monica, the HOG1 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber. It's growing very slowly. As I said, though, it's probably due to my low feeding and low nutrients in the water.

The plan is to increase to 2 times day feedings for a couple of weeks, then feed once a day and see if we can maintain this way.

Its been fun figuring this stuff out, and since I have been working from home now with COVID, I get to stare at it all day long while I'm working. I am now starting to get an itch for a larger tank, but for space reasons, I can't go much larger. Its been about one year since I bought my first 10g Waterbox for the clown fish.

thats awesome, has the algae scrubber helped reduce algae in the display? I was looking to run a scrubber and looking at the santa monica ones as well - were there any others you researched? im wondering if a skimmer+scrubber is overkill since the tank is only 30gal display

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had algae issues in regards to GHA or diatom/cyano I have had problems with dino's in my 10. The sump is too small to have a proper fuge and a skimmer, so I went with the idea of export of organics with the skimmer, and the scrubber could take up anything else and hopefully keep it out of the display. I have coraline growing consistently and a lot of soft corals. They are taking up a bunch of nutrients as well, I assume.

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! any recent photos of the display and inside the cabinet? curious how ppl been setting up all the equipment given there isn't much room in the stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back