BT's reef WB 45.2

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers! I finally starting a build thread for my Waterbox 45.2 that was bought used.

Gear So far:
Reef Octo VarioS-2 Pump
AI prime HD x2
Neo-Therm 75w
Tunze Osmolator 3155 (Still need to hook this up)
Clear Vue Lid
Nyos 120
AI Nero 5 pump

Current Stock:
2 clowns
2 PJ Cardinals
1 Purple Firefish
5 Hermits
7 Trocas snails
3 Nessarius snails

Coral all Soft:
1 mushroom
Kenya Tree
Purple Gorgonian
Pulsing Xenia
GSP

I think I have most of the gear situated. Need to hook up the ATO and dial in the skimmer/return pump. I am using the return pump on its lowest setting at this time.

I loved MikeC's REEFTANK that he posts on Youtube! So I am going to get a few leathers and a few more different soft corals and start in this direction. I also plan on moving the main rock in the middle into the sump when the tank matures a bit more. It was basically from my nano and figured the clowns would like the familiar look of the rockscape while they acclimated to their new tank.

I had started out with a 10g cube and moved the clowns and inverts into this tank about 2 months ago.

Thanks for checking it out!

45close.jpg 45far.jpg 45skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update and a few questions to the community!
I recently added a bubble tip anemone and before that had added a Leather coral.
Lighting
2 x HD Prime's
I am currently running the Saxby program. In the app I have lowered the intensity to at its peak around 25%. I recently increased this from a bit under 20%. I started seeing algae growing on the sand bed. My question is my intensity way to low considering its a shallow tank and there are 2 primes? I don't want things to get out of control at this point things are somewhat stable. Stable being relative, I have not noticed any growth of coraline algae and the tank is 6 months old now.

Thanks for the input!

tank 122619.jpg tank 122619_2.jpg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates on the tank? any major issues? just bought the same one!

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YO @jdubya ! Things are going great I have not had any issues with the tank or stand. Just trying to keep up with my water changes! I feed about every other day, a cube of frozen. I am reading close to 0 on the phosphates with the hanna but my nitrates are around 10. That Kenya tree is starting to drop a bunch lately.
WB40June2020.jpg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YO @jdubya ! Things are going great I have not had any issues with the tank or stand. Just trying to keep up with my water changes! I feed about every other day, a cube of frozen. I am reading close to 0 on the phosphates with the hanna but my nitrates are around 10. That Kenya tree is starting to drop a bunch lately.
WB40June2020.jpg
Looks awesome, careful with those low phosphates, still running the nyos skimmer? How's it working out? Debating if I want to run one or just an algae scrubber instead

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos skimmer is doing well. I clean it maybe once a week, and it's not very much. I have been feeding way to low. I imagine this will start to pick up with more organics in the water. I also bought a little algae scrubber from Santa Monica, the HOG1 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber. It's growing very slowly. As I said, though, it's probably due to my low feeding and low nutrients in the water.

The plan is to increase to 2 times day feedings for a couple of weeks, then feed once a day and see if we can maintain this way.

Its been fun figuring this stuff out, and since I have been working from home now with COVID, I get to stare at it all day long while I'm working. I am now starting to get an itch for a larger tank, but for space reasons, I can't go much larger. Its been about one year since I bought my first 10g Waterbox for the clown fish.

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos skimmer is doing well. I clean it maybe once a week, and it's not very much. I have been feeding way to low. I imagine this will start to pick up with more organics in the water. I also bought a little algae scrubber from Santa Monica, the HOG1 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber. It's growing very slowly. As I said, though, it's probably due to my low feeding and low nutrients in the water.

The plan is to increase to 2 times day feedings for a couple of weeks, then feed once a day and see if we can maintain this way.

Its been fun figuring this stuff out, and since I have been working from home now with COVID, I get to stare at it all day long while I'm working. I am now starting to get an itch for a larger tank, but for space reasons, I can't go much larger. Its been about one year since I bought my first 10g Waterbox for the clown fish.

thats awesome, has the algae scrubber helped reduce algae in the display? I was looking to run a scrubber and looking at the santa monica ones as well - were there any others you researched? im wondering if a skimmer+scrubber is overkill since the tank is only 30gal display

OP
OP
B

bt_oma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had algae issues in regards to GHA or diatom/cyano I have had problems with dino's in my 10. The sump is too small to have a proper fuge and a skimmer, so I went with the idea of export of organics with the skimmer, and the scrubber could take up anything else and hopefully keep it out of the display. I have coraline growing consistently and a lot of soft corals. They are taking up a bunch of nutrients as well, I assume.

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! any recent photos of the display and inside the cabinet? curious how ppl been setting up all the equipment given there isn't much room in the stand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back