Bubble Algae - Emerald Crabs - Good or Bad?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am starting to get a break out of Bubble Algae in one of my tanks. I am thinking of getting a few Emerald Crabs to help remove them. Are they still considered a good solution for getting rid of the algae? Also, is there a specific kind of emerald crab that I would need to get? there seems to be a common name for them, but I see them in Green and Brown Colors.

Thanks

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common emerald works fine. Ruby or regular do the same thing as far as I know.
They do a number on bubble algae, just be sure to keep it well fed so it doesn’t go after corals.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added them to one of my frag tanks a few weeks ago. So far they have done a good job. They haven’t eliminated it. However they have it under control now.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have several in my tank, and I can see them eating it. Still have some, and don’t care. In fact, I like seeing SOME “under control” algae as it provides me another indication that I’m not bottoming out nutrients.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in 3 mature tanks, all with (female) Emeralds, the only Valonia I have is on power heads and snail shells, were the crabs can't go.

I have read that the red crabs are deeper water, and more reef denizens, but I dont know this for sure and anecdotally have not lasted as long for me (short months vs years)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant keep them. they ALWAYS go after my Euphyllia. I suicide them everytime I see them touching my beatuies. One of the few areas I have had success was buying a foxface. They are not a perfect remedy but they have ben the best cure I have found.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Cleaners recommended Pitho Crabs over Emeralds for my 255g tank and they wiped out my Bubble Algae in a matter of days. Have never bothered any of my corals. Unfortunately they seem to be hard to come by lately. Reef Cleaners has been out of them for awhile now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back