Bubble Algae on Frags

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble with bubble algae (the type that forms almost perfectly round "balloons.") It arose on - and so far only on, so I'm thinking it hitchhiked - my goniopora frag. How can I safely remove this algae so it won't return, without running the risk of harming the frag? I already tried scraping it off. It just came back.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I won't know how it went until my coral does or does not open back up...

I went ahead and dipped my surviving acan as well, since it was acting odd. Two biggish amphipods showed up in the bucket. Maybe they were stuck inside? I hope they weren't chewing on it, considering I fished them out and dropped them both back into the tank.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt they were doing anything, bu hiding in there.
Many many people have dipped corals, yours should come out fine like theirs have.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt they were doing anything, bu hiding in there.
Many many people have dipped corals, yours should come out fine like theirs have.

What makes me worry is that the last time I used 3% peroxide on a coral, I killed it, and it was only on there for a few seconds. I guess I now know a way to remove unwanted clove polyps. Really upset me, though. Those little neon clove polyps were my first healthy coral (besides the shrooms and xenia in my mom's tank.)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't have killed it. Was the coral healthy?

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't have killed it. Was the coral healthy?

Almost. It was getting covered in algae but other than that it appeared fine. I was getting sick of removing the algae by hand, so I took it out, squirted it with hydrogen peroxide, and let it sit for about 15 seconds before returning it to the water. It never opened again. It closed up tight, shriveled up, and melted away.

I do have some good news. I won't know about the goni until tomorrow, but the fiery acan just devoured a good meal of bloodworms. I think it's going to be just fine. <3

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:bigsmile:
:)

dejardi sail fin tang might help control it. most importantly, reduce your nitrates
Can't put a sailfin in a 20. I am beginning to realize that the bubble algae flares are coinciding with nitrate highs...I'm going to have to test more often and probably add some Purigen until I can move everyone to the 50g and convert the sump to a refugium stuffed with macroalgae. I think I also need to feed a bit less.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dipping in water and hydrogen peroxide. It will kill the algae on the plugs. But definetly track down the source of the problem.

I did. I think the goni's all better but the monti died...I think from the combo of the dip and a nitrate spike I didn't find out about right away. Must test more often.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back