Bubble Algae Question

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have neglected the sump on one of my reef tanks for awhile and just noticed that bubble algae is growing in my 15 gallon refugium. The algae is contained to one corner of the refugium where it is growing on a pile of rock rubble. My question is, would it be unwise to place the rubble pieces with algae in the display for several tangs and blennies to eat or should I simply remove the rubble entirely? I have no idea if they would even view it as food, as they've never been exposed to it before. I also don't know how bubble algae spreads. Would them eating it result in a possible outbreak in the display? TIA

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand about bubble algea is there are no live spores inside of it. With that being said, I don't know how it grows and spreads lol. I would honestly leave it where it is. It is better off growing in your refugium then in your display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My berst luck too has been vibrant.
Emeralds in sump- Brilliant. . . . That would work and also put life into the sump !

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I think ill scrub/wash the rubble, was just wondering if it could be free tang food :)

I'm always cautious of putting any living thing in my sump as I have a sump monster in this tank. A crab who was the size of my small fingernail years ago is now the size of my fist :D

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Vibrant really work? I am starting to get Bubble in my MD

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back