Bubble Algae Showing Up

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my tank has started getting some patches of Bubble Algae. I've been removing them by hand as much as possible but they're showing up more and more and starting to affect some corals.

Question: do I risk Emerald Crabs?

Eventually I want to add a Foxface but I can't right now.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i would wait until the foxface. my emerald crab started eating zoas and some pocillopora when it wiped out my algae, even while trying to keep it fed.
That's my fear. I hear they can pick at softies and LPS and I don't want to risk it but I don't know how long it'll be before I get the Foxface.

Upvote 0

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would wait until the foxface. my emerald crab started eating zoas and some pocillopora when it wiped out my algae, even while trying to keep it fed.
Tims ok with the eating of the zoas....but the pocillopora..that's another story. If you get an emerald get a female and it will probably be OK

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tims ok with the eating of the zoas....but the pocillopora..that's another story. If you get an emerald get a female and it will probably be OK
I'm looking at Reef Cleaners. I was going to order two Emerald and one Pitho. Reef Cleaners says "guaranteed to eat bubble algae or you get a refund" but I doubt that will also cover the corals. My wife loves the Zoas so... And my Poci is going to grow out of control according to this one super smart guy!

Upvote 0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface rabbit fish is the way to go imo but until you can get one nutrient management can help slow the growth as well as cutting down the light intensity . Eventually you will in my opinion need to keep a foxface

Upvote 0

christianscorals

Water Bender
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my fear. I hear they can pick at softies and LPS and I don't want to risk it but I don't know how long it'll be before I get the Foxface.
yeah.. and those crabs are HARD to catch if your zoas do start disappearing, at least in my experience. maybe i approached it the wrong way but they’re quick. you can also try dosing reef flux depending on how quick you want the solution to be

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yeah.. and those crabs are HARD to catch if your zoas do start disappearing, at least in my experience. maybe i approached it the wrong way but they’re quick. you can also try dosing reef flux depending on how quick you want the solution to be
I'm nowhere near Reef Flux proportions. Just trying to talk myself out of Emerald Crabs if I place an order with Reef Cleaners honestly. I've had Emerald Crabs in my other tanks. They always left my corals alone but they also left the bubble algae alone.
Foxface rabbit fish is the way to go imo but until you can get one nutrient management can help slow the growth as well as cutting down the light intensity . Eventually you will in my opinion need to keep a foxface
Working on nutrient management. Phosphates were bottomed out due to rock absorbing it but over tha last couple weeks I finally got it detectable. Currently dosing to run 0.05. Nitrates are 36.9 so not ridiculously high. Everything is healthy in my tank, just not a fan of scraping and vacuuming bubble algae. Hopefully a Foxface is coming soon. The last couple I came across that were affordable were emaciated or visible ich so no go for me on those.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an emerald crab go rogue in the past but IME if they have plenty of algae to eat they’re relatively safe. Like @billyocean pointed out I’ve always heard that females are safer.

Once you get your foxface he will likely easily take care of your bubble algae, but don’t forget they’re not always reef safe either.

Upvote 0

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm looking at Reef Cleaners. I was going to order two Emerald and one Pitho. Reef Cleaners says "guaranteed to eat bubble algae or you get a refund" but I doubt that will also cover the corals. My wife loves the Zoas so... And my Poci is going to grow out of control according to this one super smart guy!
Just put you want female in the notes, I done so and got a female.

Upvote 0

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Also don’t you have a Melanurus wrasse, and if so is this the same tank that he is in? If so there is a chance you won’t be able to keep emerald crabs anyway, especially if the ones you get are on the smaller side.
Yeah.... I may or may not of lost one of my emeralds to my Timor wrasse.... Still MIA... He's such a butthead when he doesn't get breakfast on time....lol.

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... I may or may not of lost one of my emeralds to my Timor wrasse.... Still MIA... He's such a butthead when he doesn't get breakfast on time....lol.
Yeah I added a few emerald crabs to my tank from reefcleaners and they didn’t help with my bubble algae at all……probably because my wrasse at them. They did manage to stay alive for a few days, but I guess my wrasse was still full from the peppermint shrimp that I added at the same time that didn’t make it to the next day.
All I learned is that my wrasse likes crabs, but he loves shrimp.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also don’t you have a Melanurus wrasse, and if so is this the same tank that he is in? If so there is a chance you won’t be able to keep emerald crabs anyway, especially if the ones you get are on the smaller side.
True. I do have a Melanurus Wrasse. Not huge but fat and happy and definitely big enough to pick at a smaller Emerald.

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back