Bubble algae spreads if you pop them. Yes or No?

FrugalReeferJon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2021
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
29,312
Location
San Diego, CA via Charleston, SC
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been taught in this hobby to never pop bubble algae as popping the bubbles will just spread spores around a tank. Lately though, I came across this video on the BRStv YouTube channel entitled ‘Controlling Algae in Your Aquarium’, presented by Richard Ross during MACNA 2022. I was very impressed with the speech and the information given. The ending statement, ‘Algae problems are not fixed - They are managed’, I agree with 100%. The one part of the speech that came as a surprise to me though is around the 29:40 mark, where Richard talks about bubble algae and states that there is no reproductive anything inside the bubbles and that popping them will not spread them. Mr. Ross is a reefer who I have great respect for and this, along with the rest of the speech, has changed my view of algae control, bubble algae especially. So do you agree with him also? Or did he go out of his mind when he made this statement?

 
This is a myth, a lie that spread over the years usually by beginners who heard it from other beginners.
The reproductive system of Valonia is located at the base, not in the bubble itself.
The bubble is there to protect it from being eaten by making it harder to bite, so popping it essentially makes it easier for most inhabitants to eat, and thus helps you to eradicate it faster.

Another point to be made here, is that all inhabitants that consume Valonia and known to be an effective way to eradicate it will pop it as well while doing it, if so then what is the difference anyway? you're just making it easier for others to consume it as well.

I was also been in the same position as you once, until I read about the anatomy of Valonia and figured it was all just a myth, and since then I always pop it to let my inhabitants to consume it, as an effective way to control the population.
 
2nd myth... :)
 
Even if you don't pop them, they still spread awful fast.
Its a darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new