Bubble algae spreads if you pop them. Yes or No?

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been taught in this hobby to never pop bubble algae as popping the bubbles will just spread spores around a tank. Lately though, I came across this video on the BRStv YouTube channel entitled ‘Controlling Algae in Your Aquarium’, presented by Richard Ross during MACNA 2022. I was very impressed with the speech and the information given. The ending statement, ‘Algae problems are not fixed - They are managed’, I agree with 100%. The one part of the speech that came as a surprise to me though is around the 29:40 mark, where Richard talks about bubble algae and states that there is no reproductive anything inside the bubbles and that popping them will not spread them. Mr. Ross is a reefer who I have great respect for and this, along with the rest of the speech, has changed my view of algae control, bubble algae especially. So do you agree with him also? Or did he go out of his mind when he made this statement?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a myth, a lie that spread over the years usually by beginners who heard it from other beginners.
The reproductive system of Valonia is located at the base, not in the bubble itself.
The bubble is there to protect it from being eaten by making it harder to bite, so popping it essentially makes it easier for most inhabitants to eat, and thus helps you to eradicate it faster.

Another point to be made here, is that all inhabitants that consume Valonia and known to be an effective way to eradicate it will pop it as well while doing it, if so then what is the difference anyway? you're just making it easier for others to consume it as well.

I was also been in the same position as you once, until I read about the anatomy of Valonia and figured it was all just a myth, and since then I always pop it to let my inhabitants to consume it, as an effective way to control the population.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you don't pop them, they still spread awful fast.
Its a darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back