Bubble Algae

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed two of the frags I added to my tank about a month ago are growing bubble algae. What's the best solution here?

Should I take the frags out, remove all algae, and rinse off with tank water? Does that risk spores?

Or could I cover it with some super glue and hope that stops things?

Or should I get very aggressive and just completely get rid of the frags? 20220827_095214.jpg

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see any algae, but you don't need to stress about popping them in the tank, that does not make them release spores and spread like people used to assume, they're essentially just filled with water. You can scrape them off and manually remove them, if you can do this in a separate container if you can remove the frag and would like to ensure you're pulling out every bit. You can also do a light hydrogen peroxide dip, but I tend to avoid this method with calcifying corals and just use it for softies. Lastly, emerald crabs are a popular form of control, as well as rabbit fish like foxfaces (provided your tank is big enough).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take frag out and place in container of tank water and scrape off with a pairing knife or similar

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good on you for acting on it. While bubble algae isn't the end of the world, it divides quickly and punishes not removing it - keep eyes peeled for more cropping up. Manual removal is fastest

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back