Bubble Coral

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I purchased my first bubble coral Thursday night brought it home and done a RODI dip before adding to DT. It started sending out long strings and Friday morning it looked like the bubbles have popped and is exposing the skeleton. I watched some YouTube videos from Tidal Gardens and he said don't give up to soon on them. Just wanted to know if I can save my new guy.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I did put him in a low light low flow area to help him but is there anything else?

20210226_184926.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,not really but wait for now,would not recommend dipping lps in fresh water,use a coral dip and follow directions.
best wishes,keep us posted :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
never give up..esp w a bubble ,kinda hearty ,should bounce back, @vetteguy53081 any thoughts here?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer iodine base dips. Fw baths are more for fish. Not corals imo.
How long was it submerged and or soaking? U swish it around in coldwater or room temp?
Ty and hopefully the next one will be smaller and cheaper and do better!
D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not dead but rather tissue recession as coral is upset.
What may be upsetting it. . . As in the case of mine. having it in the sandbed. Sand was getting on mine from the fishs' tail fanning it on them. So try elevating it.
Moderate light and water flow is their happy medium.
Parameters:

Temperature 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Ammonia < .03
Phos < .04
mag 1300
CA 440
Alk 8-9

What test kits are you using ?
Age of tank ? ( These need a well seeded tank to start off on the right foot)
Type of lighting ?

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer iodine base dips. Fw baths are more for fish. Not corals imo.
How long was it submerged and or soaking? U swish it around in coldwater or room temp?
Ty and hopefully the next one will be smaller and cheaper and do better!
D
I used heated RODI water and Bayer dip, yes I swished it around but not like my other corals because I knew it was very fragile. And I only had it in the dips for a few minutes each.. ‍♀️

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not dead but rather tissue recession as coral is upset.
What may be upsetting it. . . As in the case of mine. having it in the sandbed. Sand was getting on mine from the fishs' tail fanning it on them. So try elevating it.
Moderate light and water flow is their happy medium.
Parameters:

Temperature 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Ammonia < .03
Phos < .04
mag 1300
CA 440
Alk 8-9

What test kits are you using ?
Age of tank ? ( These need a well seeded tank to start off on the right foot)
Type of lighting ?
Test kits:
Red sea fire Ca,Mg, Alk.
Salifert for PO4 & NO3

Parameters:
Last time I checked on 2/6/2021
Tank is a 55gal. Long been setup & cycled July 2020.
Lighting is (2) Viparspectra 165 - 300w
Filter: FX6
Skimmer: HOB Classic Octo-100
UV is a Aqua 2,000 hob
Has been seeded with pods from algae barn twice now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-153542_Aquarium Note.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-153542_Aquarium Note.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 61

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time use sw and dip. I usually just put the dip in the bag or container. Like half a cap full and swish like u said. Sometimes i let sit or turn the frag upside down and swish. Ive never used the bayer pesticide from hardware store sorry i cant speak for that.
D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I see an issue here. You mentioned the canister and your nitrates are high enough to irritate the bubble. Canisters are known Nitrate factories in which unless they are cleaned weekly, the numbers become elevated and cause this reading.
I find it also unusual that Phos is zero with such nitrate reading.
Have you considered an ICP test of all your water elements?

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ICP test is a good recommendation. Water chemistry numbers does not seem that off to kill the corals. ICP test will test if there is any undesirable elements and also confirm the numbers.
Can you post a full tank picture and list of fishes as well.

Please don’t lose heart. Go slow and when in doubt, go back to basics- lots of Water change and reduce number of variables.
sam

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't considered the ICP test. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea especially since I don't think I am getting a total 0 on my TDS reading from my RODI filter.
And I don't have a LFS to re-check my results. which I'm pretty sure I'm doing them correctly but I have trouble reading the end results.
I use the Salifert for phosphate and I have trouble reading the colors always seems it's 0.
I'm gonna test Sunday morning and I will be able to give a better snapshot of it.. or at least I hope. Lol

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test is a good recommendation. Water chemistry numbers does not seem that off to kill the corals. ICP test will test if there is any undesirable elements and also confirm the numbers.
Can you post a full tank picture and list of fishes as well.

Please don’t lose heart. Go slow and when in doubt, go back to basics- lots of Water change and reduce number of variables.
sam
I do weekly water changes of 5gal.
Fish are: 2 -clown fish, 1- coral beauty, 1- strawberry basselet, 1-lawnmower blenny& a YWG and pistol pair.
Corals:
Several mushrooms, 1 Duncan that has tripled, 1-Kryptonite candy cane,1-striped candy candy, 1-toadstool, 1-devils hand, 1-pulsing xenia, 1-GSP, 1- plating monti., 1-stylo., 1-favia, 1-scroll, and one other that I have no idea.

Attachments

• 16144678623797892295643549216127.jpg
    16144678623797892295643549216127.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 55

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do weekly water changes of 5gal.
Fish are: 2 -clown fish, 1- coral beauty, 1- strawberry basselet, 1-lawnmower blenny& a YWG and pistol pair.
Corals:
Several mushrooms, 1 Duncan that has tripled, 1-Kryptonite candy cane,1-striped candy candy, 1-toadstool, 1-devils hand, 1-pulsing xenia, 1-GSP, 1- plating monti., 1-stylo., 1-favia, 1-scroll, and one other that I have no idea.
Keep an eye on the coral beauty. Nothing is jumping out right away as significantly off other than either contamination, water chemistry is unstable/off or coral beauty.

ICP test will help with the first two.

Also, do you use gfo. How is your phosphate 0 and nitrate 25.
Why is the mag high? Please answer these two questions to assist further.

sam

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the coral beauty. Nothing is jumping out right away as significantly off other than either contamination, water chemistry is unstable/off or coral beauty.

ICP test will help with the first two.

Also, do you use gfo. How is your phosphate 0 and nitrate 25.
Why is the mag high? Please answer these two questions to assist further.

sam
No on the GFO unless Chemi-pure elite is considered the same.

**UPDATE **
Re-tested water this morning and done my weekly 5gal. water change & now the whites are on I can see that some of the bubbles have inflated.. (doing a happy dance)

Welllll the Mg. Was my own fault, I was having trouble reading the RedSea results & I thought it was super low so I added the BRS Magnesium..
I re-tested the Po4 this morning with the Salifert and it keeps showing (clear) which is 0.. I need a better test for that for sure.

Attachments

• 20210228_175441.jpg
    20210228_175441.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 51

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, your gonna need some nutrient buildup in a fairly new setup, July 2020. Canister type filters I don’t like for reef tanks, like someone said, lack of maintenance and means of simpler filtration. NO3 and PO4 need to be kept in check.

OP
OP
D. Denny

D. Denny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, your gonna need some nutrient buildup in a fairly new setup, July 2020. Canister type filters I don’t like for reef tanks, like someone said, lack of maintenance and means of simpler filtration. NO3 and PO4 need to be kept in check.
Not sure who your talking about that said lack of maintenance?? Because NO body has said that..
And I feel like my husbandry is working, and YES I don't have a sump that most think you should use but I've seen plenty of successful tank that where not running on a sump..

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back