Bubble on my plate coral

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This "bubble" started growing on my fungia a couple weeks ago. Coral seems otherwise healthy, and isn't showing any signs of stress. But I have had this fungia longer than I can remember, probably 15 years or more. This "bubble" is maybe slightly smaller than a golf ball. It's pretty big, and the coral itself is a good 7 or 8 inches in diameter. I can see a couple of the other fingers are starting to balloon up too.

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this on a coral before. And if it might be an indication of a problem.
IMG_6257[1].JPG

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this happen. An it can reverse itself. The main worry would be that something doesn’t “pop” the bubble. Which can lead to infection

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping it doesn't pop, but there isn't much I can do to stop that from happening. I certainly won't pop it. So you think it will reverse itself? Any ideas what could cause it? Like I said, I've had this coral for years, and it has never done anything this before....

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also seen this a couple of times and once it reversed on its own and the other time it got bigger and eventually pretty quickly the coral ended up dying.

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also seen this a couple of times and once it reversed on its own and the other time it got bigger and eventually pretty quickly the coral ended up dying.
Uh oh. Not what I wanted to hear. I hope the first part of your response is correct and not the second part!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wondered what caused it to start, what it was, and how to stop it but unfortunately my questions were never answered, I don’t think anyone knew what caused it and how to stop it after having it for almost a year. I have a pic somewhere I will see if I can find it, I do remember it eventually started working it’s way down the side to the underside. Hope yours just goes pack to normal.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vette67 found a pic of it, I called it the blue blob. If I remember correctly it finally popped after a few weeks peeling back exposing the skeleton then the coral slowly died by the skin peeling away slowly all over it very randomly until it was all skeleton. I left the skeleton in four like 4 months after reading babies might pop up on it but that never happened.
Screenshot_20200716-171216_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vette67 found a pic of it, I called it the blue blob. If I remember correctly it finally popped after a few weeks peeling back exposing the skeleton then the coral slowly died by the skin peeling away slowly all over it very randomly until it was all skeleton. I left the skeleton in four like 4 months after reading babies might pop up on it but that never happened.
Screenshot_20200716-171216_Facebook.jpg
Sorry to hear that. And I hope it’s not the fate of my fungia, but seems like it might be. This plate coral is the second oldest in my tank, and has survived a lot. Only my pagoda cup is older. I guess I’ll just keep an eye on mine and do what I can. We’ll see if it can make a turnaround. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here it is 4 months later, and the bubble is still there. It is the same size it has been for a while. Maybe slightly bigger than when I took the first picture back in July. It just seems to keep existing. I would have thought by this point that it would have popped, but apparently not. So who knows, maybe this is just the new normal. We'll see how long my fungia can maintain this bubble...
IMG_6844[1].JPG

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back