Bubble Split

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today has been a busy day for me
And my tank.

My beautuful bubbletip decided to split this morning.

Now the end of the day has come and it looks like the bigger half is splitting again...
Is this possible? It’s late now so I’ll need to wait until the morning to confirm. Has anyone else had this happen?

Should I be concerned? Otherwise it’s looked super happy and healthy up until these splits ???

image.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few reasons. I know change in perameters has caused this for me. I’ve had them split that fast when I’ve changed flow. Position of the rock work. Heavy water change. Exposing the anemone to mass amounts of detritus man I’ve Seen it split for no known reason as well. I do know of an anemone expert who has a better understanding then I.
@Bob Loblaw
Let’s see if he’s around

OP
OP
D

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes well as for another thread I wrote today. The tank has been fallow for almost four weeks due to ICH, in the last week I’ve been dosing with Ruby kick-ick which in a previous thread have decided to stop dosing as my plate coral was looking a little worse for wear and the bible tip split... a few signs enough signs.

So since this morning I did a small water change removed a lot of detritus from the Chaeto refugium.

Lowered the tank temp from 81.5 to 80.5 (this was all part of the ICH eradication)

Reintroduced the slimmer and carbon into the system.

All other corals are doing well. Chaeto is doing amazing!

And I’m running Triton Core7.

No flow change apart from feeding time.

The first split is fully bubbled up and looking good!

I tried feeding them brine shrimp today with they took hold of but unsure whether or how it might have been consumed?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if other corals are showing signs of stress then it’s the anemones way of trying to survive. it’s instinct is to multiply and spread for better chance of survival

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to say that they’re in trouble! Haha If your staying on top of water changes they’ll prolly be just fine. Seeing there tenticles out absorbing light and not sucked in all day or mouth swollen or open is a good sign. in my experience they’ve always bounced back after a split but I’ve also always done weekly to bi weekly water changes

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s the anemones way of trying to survive. it’s instinct is to multiply and spread for better chance of survival

Nailed it. Simply put the nem is stressing and doing what it can to assure survival. The Ruby ich solution is most definitely the issue here and I'd remove it asap. Carbon, Purigen, 03, skimmer, water changes... will remove it. I wouldn't feed the splits until they are fully healed as digestion takes energy away needed to heal. Once healed I would start feeding mysid instead of brine.

Imo, kick-ich is a snake oil and should be avoided in the future.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back