Bubble tip anemone help.

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i literally had to learn the hard way before i realized how much a nem needs to be left alone to do nem things just focus on keeping your water clean healthy and stable.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think yours is bleached. I do think you should feed it more. I do the how long is the mouth thing. So if the mouth is a 1/4 inch long I feed it a 1/4 inch round piece of food(I feed LRS Reef Frenzy Nano) 4 times a week. Right now I'd be feeding yours everyday until it grew back to normal. Then move to 4 times a week. Right now your going to have to turn off the pumps and put the food right on the mouth and keep the pumps off until it swallows the food.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Nems can have problems when fed too much or too big as digestion at 70-80 degrees can take a while. Yours looks ok color wise. I'd give it some time to adjust and feed no more than once every couple of weeks and smaller sizes. Nems don't really need to be directly fed. These are going on 3 years with no direct feeding. Went from 4 to 10. Two largest are 9" plus.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed my nems and they are under pretty intense light too. What other coral do you have in the tank? My guess is something is off with your water or you’re feeding it to much... these are mine. Never been fed and they are quickly taking over one side of my tank.

67F0BFFC-7C20-4E88-B8EC-C5E7C4E133FE.jpeg

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my RBTA for 6 years and feed it Benepets and Fauna Marin Ultra LPS Grow Medium. It also seems to like Red Sea AB+. It's doing well and has split several times naturally.

For lighting I would not run at 100% but I've found the Nem will move if it doesn't like the the lighting or the flow.

Seems so simple doesn't it lol. Alright thanks you @michael inocencio

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check your lighting and flow. RBTAs are pretty good about moving and stretching to get more or less light and flow. It sounds like your parameters are pretty stable but i have noticed my rbta to be more sensitive to Alk swings. That you may not be aware of depending when and how often you are testing. Also the clowns can sometimes be a little annoying to the men’s when they are trying to feed or irritated. I had a BTA seem a little more unhappy like that before and I noticed the clowns being persistently annoying. I isolated the nem and within and week it was perking back up. good luck!

Yeah I think that may play a part. I was kinda thinking the RBTA was to small for 2 clowns but as of now there is only one ever in it. Thank you for helping me @newreefer3451

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it normal when you got it and now has the nubs?
I saw this happen in a tank when I had black sand that poisoned everything.
If you do a large water change does it get better?

I will say it was a lot different from when I got it Brighter colors longer tentacles although it never really had "bubbled tips." No it doesn't really get better or worse after a water change.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt use tentical extension as a sign of light usually the will raise there foot to the light if it needs more ive seen my nems tenticals go from bubbles to long and stringy to nubs as you showed. if its too much light it will move to a further away spot or a darker spot. if its foot is still stuck were its at and the mouth is closed just leave it be. Worse thing you can do is panic and start touching moving and adding things to the tank/nem. parameters look fine. hows the rest of the tank doing ? nems are weird.

also side note i wouldnt over feed it. nems naturally get there energy and food from the light source. Feeding a nem is benificial if you want it to grow faster, split, just to watch it eat or just want a happy nem. but over feeding is a no no. when a nem eats its takes alot for the nems energy to do that if its a big piece. feeding it once week or every other day smaller pieces of food should be fine and will help it heal if its hurt. just dont over feed big pieces only give it foods smaller then its mouth.

Something
i wouldnt use tentical extension as a sign of light usually the will raise there foot to the light if it needs more ive seen my nems tenticals go from bubbles to long and stringy to nubs as you showed. if its too much light it will move to a further away spot or a darker spot. if its foot is still stuck were its at and the mouth is closed just leave it be. Worse thing you can do is panic and start touching moving and adding things to the tank/nem. parameters look fine. hows the rest of the tank doing ? nems are weird.

also side note i wouldnt over feed it. nems naturally get there energy and food from the light source. Feeding a nem is benificial if you want it to grow faster, split, just to watch it eat or just want a happy nem. but over feeding is a no no. when a nem eats its takes alot for the nems energy to do that if its a big piece. feeding it once week or every other day smaller pieces of food should be fine and will help it heal if its hurt. just dont over feed big pieces only give it foods smaller then its mouth.

Do you think if fed a larger piece of food it would shorten it's tentacles for less energy consumption? If so then that's the case. I was feeding my biggest hammer in the tank when my orange clown stole it from the hammer and just dropped it on the RBTA. This seems very likely now that you mention it. @rapid thanks! This was pretty helpful!

Edit: I'm now very curious in this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Nems can have problems when fed too much or too big as digestion at 70-80 degrees can take a while. Yours looks ok color wise. I'd give it some time to adjust and feed no more than once every couple of weeks and smaller sizes. Nems don't really need to be directly fed. These are going on 3 years with no direct feeding. Went from 4 to 10. Two largest are 9" plus.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

Thank you for being respectful. Also man you got some good looking nems! So your saying don't feed every other day? Don't quote me on this but from what I've heard/seen/read they do benefit from food to. I think when it comes to feeding it has to be done the right way for it to be beneficial. Now feeding every day with larger pieces of food then yes I can see this becoming harmful for a nem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed my nems and they are under pretty intense light too. What other coral do you have in the tank? My guess is something is off with your water or you’re feeding it to much... these are mine. Never been fed and they are quickly taking over one side of my tank.

67F0BFFC-7C20-4E88-B8EC-C5E7C4E133FE.jpeg

Firstly great looking nems! I don't think it's water unless there's something I'm going over. But feeding may be the cause.. from my understanding. Thanks for your input @Cabinetman

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that would be a problem if that’s truly the number!!!

So my alk is 16 dkh. When converted it's 286(ppm) or parts per million. This dose seem a little higher but as far as clowns goby and corals nothing seems bothered other than the nem. Now is my alk to high for the nem and if so how do I lower it. Thanks @Cabinetman @CCauthers

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you’d lower it other than by doing water changes. The more important question is how did your dkh get so high in the first place? What are you adding to the tank? Are you using tap water cause when I did years ago my dkh was high like this. I’m sure that’s what’s affecting your nem.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my alk is 16 dkh. When converted it's 286(ppm) or parts per million. This dose seem a little higher but as far as clowns goby and corals nothing seems bothered other than the nem. Now is my alk to high for the nem and if so how do I lower it. Thanks @Cabinetman @CCauthers
Dude that is waaaaaay too high. What test kit are you using?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is way too close to the water. Be careful not to give too much light.

I wouldn't worry about that. Nems have the ability to move around until they find the conditions they want. If there was too much light, it would move to an area shielding it from some of the it.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you’d lower it other than by doing water changes. The more important question is how did your dkh get so high in the first place? What are you adding to the tank? Are you using tap water cause when I did years ago my dkh was high like this. I’m sure that’s what’s affecting your nem.

I mean it's kinda always been this high.. I think. I've never actually added all to my tank before. So I'll try a water change like 50% or..? Sorry I didn't know it was to high ;Facepalm.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back