Bubble tip anemone problem

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 13.5 gallons so only a nano and the light is an AI prime running with these settings.
SmartSelect_20200525-184905_myAI.jpg
Holy crap...how high is your light off the tank? Aren’t you worried you’re frying your poor dude? Lol
How big was it when you got it?
you never did say what salt you are using. Have you ever tested alk or calcium? What other corals are with it?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had cyno your nitrate and phosphate may be too low. Anemones love nitrate in the water. What are your levels? You really need to provide a many details as possible regarding your tank including all parameters to make it easier to assist you. Di d the down turn coincide with you new RO unit? Test your RO water for chlorine. You can get a test kit at Home Depot, Lowes or any pool supply store. Chloramine is very hard on RO/DI units if it is in your local water supply.

OP
OP
T

Tomas-W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...how high is your light off the tank? Aren’t you worried you’re frying your poor dude? Lol
How big was it when you got it?
you never did say what salt you are using. Have you ever tested alk or calcium? What other corals are with it?
Lol honestly the minute I posted it I realized how high it's been but hes been under the light for about 6 months and he loved it. However as he is not looking the healthiest I did lower it after I posted that just in case. When I got him he was about 3.5 inches in diameter. I am currently using instant ocean reef crystal salt. I have never tested alk or calcium but I am planning on getting those test kits soon so this will be the impetus to buy them and there are no coral in the tank.

OP
OP
T

Tomas-W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had cyno your nitrate and phosphate may be too low. Anemones love nitrate in the water. What are your levels? You really need to provide a many details as possible regarding your tank including all parameters to make it easier to assist you. Di d the down turn coincide with you new RO unit? Test your RO water for chlorine. You can get a test kit at Home Depot, Lowes or any pool supply store. Chloramine is very hard on RO/DI units if it is in your local water supply.
I am a complete newbie to the reef tank hobby so the only tests I have done are as follows
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 1-2ppm
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 25ish degrees Celsius
The down turn was in the same time frame as the buying of the ro unit, I would say that it was slightly after I got the ro unit that he was less healthy. I have contacted my cities water engineer and he has said that there is chloramine in our water so I will be buying test strips for that. Although, shouldn't the carbon filter in the ro system be filtering out any chlorine or chloramine?

OP
OP
T

Tomas-W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is that the anemone could possibly be acclimating to the new water. As we did go on a mini holiday before buying the water filter. So he may have been slightly weak from not being fed for a week. Then the new water may have worsened his condition. Therefore the daily feedings might be able to help get him back to health.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your light back to the way it was. Your not going to burn the anemone. Since you have almost no nitrate feeding it small bits would be a good idea. Normally anemones do not need to be fed directly. If your phosphates are at zero that could be a problem too.

OP
OP
T

Tomas-W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your light back to the way it was. Your not going to burn the anemone. Since you have almost no nitrate feeding it small bits would be a good idea. Normally anemones do not need to be fed directly. If your phosphates are at zero that could be a problem too.
I'm going to keep the lights lower as he used to hide under an over hang in the rock but now he has come out and is on top of the rock so I think that the light might have been to high. Also I do not want him to bleach as he is already pretty weak.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have a peppermint shrimp do you? We found out that’s why both our BTA died.....our PS was slowly eating them

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back