Bubble Tip Problems

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he looks better but he's not going to do well in the tank that new with those parameters that you provided. You should return him even if you don't get your money back it's best for the anemone

OP
OP
D

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His tentacles are not sticky to the touch. However, the anemone’s foot is still latching onto my fingers.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will not do well long term in your tank unless you make some changes fast.
You need a stronger light, look into reef breeder photon v2s for a good budget fixture, or 4 bulb t5's.
You also need to get ammonia and nitrite down ASAP. Your tank is not cycled. I would go to a different store and get some Seachem prime which temporarily locks up ammonia, and dose that every day until ammonia and nitrite are 0. I would also get some bottled bacteria to speed up the cycling process. There are different kinds but I prefer Seachem Stability.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can’t afford something like reef breeders or T5s, at lest not for a while, just buy a Chinese black box led on amazon and have it overnighted. Will probably run you about $120 shipped. I use GalaxyHydro 165W 55x3 on my tank and it would be a good fit for that size tank at least until you can upgrade lighting. It is no doubt strong enough for an anemone. However you do still have an issue of cycling not being done. If you are willing to risk it then keep the nem and buy the lights and pray that it gets through cycling. If it is still kicking in a month or so I say you have a good chance of making it. Going to be rough but I wish you the best of luck. Also, if the anemone suddenly takes a turn for the worst GET IT OUT! When they die stressed they can release cells that will poison your tank, killing your fish and corals.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably don't want credit from a store that would lead you astray anyway.
If you have a local reef club that has a forum, you might try posting on their forum and see if there is a local reefer that would be willing to keep it for you until you get your tank ready for it. They will probably also point you in the right direction for a LFS that will guide you along instead of selling you things your tank is not ready for. I know in my club(Bayou Reefkeepers), someone would likely step up for you.
Either way, keep your chin up, watch as many BRS videos as you can on YouTube, and good luck!
This community is the best and we're here to help in any way we can.
Most of all, take it slow.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to keep it, another alternative to a Chinese BlackBox light is SB Reef Lights out of Fl. They have a $50 Nano lighst that you could try one to start with. Another option is their Nano Sprite lights depending on your budget. Make sure you are using RO and doing weekly water changes. (with those numbers you might have to do water changes more often). Another thing is to make sure any of your pumps or overflows have netting/covers. As anemones move around and can be injured easily. Do a search on here for threads with anemones. You will find all sorts of info. I know mine seems to be sensitive to lower ph. You might want to invest in a buffer. I have been using eight.four but do some reading and see what the experts say. Most discuss using kalkwasser, which I will be switching to once my eight.four runs out. Just remember there is a lot to learn. When I started I did a lot of reading and was still lead astray by a LFS. I found this site and everything got better. My suggestion is while you are learning, don't make any snap decisions. Research every animal/coral prior to purchase. If in doubt ask the experts here. You will find that each forum has specific experts. Look at the sticky threads first. They have lots of good info. If you look at the anemone & clown fish discussion, you will see that Amoo is the most knowledgeable on anemones and has sticky posts on their care.

Good luck.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks incredibly bleached out, I'm assuming it's a Green BTA? I would NOT go back to that LFS, find a reputable shop and seak advice from reef enthusiasts not interested in just selling you stuff you're not ready for. You should not have Clownfish in there, they will likely die along with your Anemone.

OP
OP
D

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he moving around or what? Pulling himself through my coral

OP
OP
D

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
115dc476165df4098cd01ec4b6b0525c.jpg
869238fa2ba01c0511946eb02b094c02.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I got these ones for free the other one was bleached

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still too young for them to very well. At least if your cycle is done (ammonia 0, nitrite 0) it will probably be okay but I still would have recommended you wait.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so wait, you knew that your tank wasn't ready, and you still added more anenomes? I have 1 in my 75, and it depletes iodine very quickly! I would find someone to take and hold them for you until your tank cycles for at least 6 months!

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so wait, you knew that your tank wasn't ready, and you still added more anenomes? I have 1 in my 75, and it depletes iodine very quickly! I would find someone to take and hold them for you until your tank cycles for at least 6 months!
Can you please elaborate on your iodine and anenomes comment? The reason I ask is that I have 3 in an 80 gallon frag tank (about 120 g system) and I noticed that my iodine seemed to require supplementation to the point where SPS frags and especially LPS were not happy without it. I have seen many experienced reefers question the need for iodine dosing, but my experience has been that it is needed and can cause problems if allowed to deplete completely. I have observed this not only in this tank, but in other past tanks as well.

Dennis

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please elaborate on your iodine and anenomes comment? The reason I ask is that I have 3 in an 80 gallon frag tank (about 120 g system) and I noticed that my iodine seemed to require supplementation to the point where SPS frags and especially LPS were not happy without it. I have seen many experienced reefers question the need for iodine dosing, but my experience has been that it is needed and can cause problems if allowed to deplete completely. I have observed this not only in this tank, but in other past tanks as well.

Dennis
Sure! I have a massive RBTA in my 75, and my iodine levels are really low, the nem sucks it all out of the water. I use straight iodine, 1 drop per 50 gallons every 1-2 weeks, depending on my levels. I have always kept in stable, and so I have never observed a tank with low or really low iodine. It's just my $.2

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not to berate you, but I really, really suggest that you sit down and do some serious research before you spend any more money or accept any more livestock. Your tank is brand new, still cycling, and lacks the equipment to sustain sensitive organisms like anemones. I’ll echo those above me; you shouldn’t try an anemone until you’ve gotten at least six months down with a stable tank that has a capable light and adequate flow. At least see if you can grow basic soft corals first my dude.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back