Bubble tip upside down in sand

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble tip split today and one half is adhered to the rock and looking pretty okay but the other one is tentacle-down in the sand (see pic). Is this within the range of normal post-split behavior or is it dead/dying?

C2C8B8B5-EEF7-4451-A1E9-6231F444B8A0.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if it was a split for ideal conditions or one from a survival standpoint. Appears your tank is a mature one, so as long as parameters and lighting are correct, I would wait and see.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to upright him no matter what you do. If you plan on keeping him you do not want him picking his own spot floating around stinging things. Here is what I did, when mine split I put the Mother in a stationary plastic colander with a rock in the sump. (with a light source) When she attached to the rock I placed her in my QT tank eventually selling her and keeping the clone. It took a while for Nemo to accept the clone as she was not in the exact place the mother was in. (literally inches away)

Clone

IMG_0214.JPG

Mother

IMG_0213.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
LauraR

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to upright him no matter what you do. If you plan on keeping him you do not want him picking his own spot floating around stinging things. Here is what I did, when mine split I put the Mother in a stationary plastic colander with a rock in the sump. (with a light source) When she attached to the rock I placed her in my QT tank eventually selling her and keeping the clone. It took a while for Nemo to accept the clone as she was not in the exact place the mother was in. (literally inches away)
I very gently flipped it over, but it soon flipped back onto its tentacles. My setup doesn’t have a sump. Any other suggestions? Should I place him on a rock? Maybe in the little indentation where the original BTA lived before it split?

OP
OP
LauraR

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if it was a split for ideal conditions or one from a survival standpoint. Appears your tank is a mature one, so as long as parameters and lighting are correct, I would wait and see.
Alk is low. The rest of the parameters are good. I’ll add some Reef Fusion 2 tonight and see if that helps

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW it's trying to heal. I think either gently placing it in a basket or on a rock you're ok with it adhering to. Mine split today into 3. I had to turn my flow pump on because on spawn was going for it and one was in sand. Your flow could be rolling it maybe?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very gently flipped it over, but it soon flipped back onto its tentacles. My setup doesn’t have a sump. Any other suggestions? Should I place him on a rock? Maybe in the little indentation where the original BTA lived before it split?
Yes, try again. If you can, set it in a spot that doesn't get direct flow and if possible, GENTLY hold it down for about 5 seconds, giving it a chance to attach its foot to the rock.

If that doesn't work, you can use an acclimation box (or a diy one made from a plastic container) and let it rest for a day or so.

But do not try to feed it right now.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have turned from 2 into 8 or 9 now. Haven't gotten hands on with any of them.

Edit: same as below. None have become detached

Last edited:
OP
OP
LauraR

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, try again. If you can, set it in a spot that doesn't get direct flow and if possible, GENTLY hold it down for about 5 seconds, giving it a chance to attach its foot to the rock.

If that doesn't work, you can use an acclimation box (or a diy one made from a plastic container) and let it rest for a day or so.

But do not try to feed it right now.
I put it on the same rock as the other one, in an alcove a few inches away. I had to hold it up for awhile, but eventually it was able to adhere to the rock. It has its mouth open and some weird stuff is hanging out of it, but it seems to be doing a bit better. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and will report back in the morning. Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it

Attachments

• B252926A-8A85-43EB-BCED-904B02273DBB.jpeg
    B252926A-8A85-43EB-BCED-904B02273DBB.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 7A52FF2F-7CE9-48FB-901E-0242D040626B.jpeg
    7A52FF2F-7CE9-48FB-901E-0242D040626B.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 63

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put it on the same rock as the other one, in an alcove a few inches away. I had to hold it up for awhile, but eventually it was able to adhere to the rock. It has its mouth open and some weird stuff is hanging out of it, but it seems to be doing a bit better. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and will report back in the morning. Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it
It looks like it’s spilling its guts which is not a good sign. But I’d monitor him and hope for the best.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering it was upside down in the sand for a bit, it doesn't look too bad. Hopefully it will still be attached to a rock in the morning. Good luck and do keep us posted!

OP
OP
LauraR

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news: the wayward anemone is still attached to the rock, puffed up nicely overnight, and now looks likely to pull through! It also moved to the other side of its twin, closer to where the original anemone used to be, and the clownfish have started to take an interest in it too. It’s the lower one in this pic. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and talked me through this!

Attachments

• A7CFB286-4CD3-41C0-A6AD-A2D97525E2D8.jpeg
    A7CFB286-4CD3-41C0-A6AD-A2D97525E2D8.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 42

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of floating in the sump float in the display tank. Figure out a way to keep the colander stationary in your tank at the surface. You do not want the clone behind the rocks dying polluting your tank, at the top you can keep an eye on him until he attaches to the rock. Once the clone attaches to the rock and he looks ok you can place him anywhere in the tank he seems to like. Just make sure he is not under direct light while you float him at the top of the tank, he should be in the corner with the least amount of flow and light for now.

Many people say Nems don't like heavy flow or bright light and that may be true but not for mine.

My Monster
IMG_1630.JPG

OP
OP
LauraR

LauraR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of floating in the sump float in the display tank. Figure out a way to keep the colander stationary in your tank at the surface. You do not want the clone behind the rocks dying polluting your tank, at the top you can keep an eye on him until he attaches to the rock. Once the clone attaches to the rock and he looks ok you can place him anywhere in the tank he seems to like. Just make sure he is not under direct light while you float him at the top of the tank, he should be in the corner with the least amount of flow and light for now.

Many people say Nems don't like heavy flow or bright light and that may be true but not for mine.

My Monster
IMG_1630.JPG
You have a beautiful reef! I’ll try that trick with the floating colander if one of these guys ever splits again, but for now they both seem good. I have heard that about light/flow too, but this BTA has always loved being directly under the lamp and has tolerated very high flow. I tried to get it to move to a different rock once, by aiming the powerhead right on it and moving its rock incrementally closer over a period of a few days. It refused to budge and I finally gave up! After splitting, the mother immediately attached to a very bright and fairly high-flow area. Last night the clone moved into a higher-flow area from the low-flow spot where I had initially put it ‍♀️

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back