Bubble trap not effective

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I did a DIY 40 b sump. In my skimmer section I have an under then over baffle into the return section. On the other side I am running a cryptic refugium completely stuffed with rock. I have an over sized skimmer that is producing a lot of micro bubbles that are making their way into my return section and into the display tank. I wish I did a 3 baffle bubble trap into the return, but in order to do so I would have to completely disassemble and drain and rebuild my sump. I’m trying to avoid that. Are there any other options here? I thought maybe a sponge of some sort wedged in between the baffles of the bubble trap would maybe stop the bubbles from passing through? Any other ideas?

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, I’m a newbie. In regards to the skimmer, it’s not supposed to have and bubbles escaping it? It has a dc pump I’m running at full speed, should I knock that back a little?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, I’m a newbie. In regards to the skimmer, it’s not supposed to have and bubbles escaping it? It has a dc pump I’m running at full speed, should I knock that back a little?
What kind of skimmer? how long has it been running? If you just installed it, give it some time as they have to break in.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer? how long has it been running? If you just installed it, give it some time as they have to break in.
It’s a Skimz SL 203DC rated for up to 500 gal. It’s been running about 5-6 weeks. Tank is 2 months old. My system is 120 gal display tank. Probably 140-150 total volume and I have 4 fish

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first take is also to fix the skimmer. If bubbles are escaping, they aren’t doing what the skimmer needs them to do. Fix that then go from there.

Back