Bubbles Bubbles Bubble

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are some bubble tip anemone's bubbled and some are not? I've been feeding my rainbow bta's minced fish food along with feeding the fish since I've had them and they never bubble. I started with 1 and now I have 5 - typical. I decided to try something new. I feed my fish chopped fresh oysters a couple times a week and I notice when I put the chopped oysters in a cup with some tank water, the water gets very cloudy. I decided to just siphon the cloudy water off with a turkey baster and spray it at the anemone's instead of chopped food. Since then, they are starting to noticeably bubble - at least 4 out of the 5 have. Does anyone else do this, know about it, is it a thing everyone does and I just don't know about it? I'm thinking they be more filter feeder feeders than I suspected.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The configuration on the terminal end of the Bubble tip anemone has been discussed in the past but I do not believe I have came across any previous post where chopped fresh oyster juice was recommended as a bubble tip inducer.

It's your thing! :)

I rarely target feed my solo anemone but rather let it catch fish food on the drift or trust that it's buddies the clownfish provide it with stuff. I have not seen them actively catch food to feed their current anemone but I have seen that behavior by clownfish in other situations. They do tend to thrive better with a fish than without, ime. (Same for plate corals that have had clownfish attendants.)

I don't believe I have ever read that the anemone would change bubble configuration as a result of feeding, or light intensity, or current but they do seem to change, but for sure the more a reefer wants bubbles the more likely they will find their nems don't display bubbles, or visa verse. No idea why, but it may be someway related to filter feeding.

Thanks for posting your interesting observation. It is plausable that this could be a connection,?

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking any coral type filter feeder food might do the same thing. I have mostly all soft coral and I don't feed coral food, so the oyster juice was the only thing I could think of to give a try. Funny, but I actually prefer when the tentacles are long over bubbled but just wanted to see what would happen - if anything. I've read clowns will feed the nem, but I have a pair of saddlebacks hosting them and they will steal food from the nems if they see it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, my clowns eat the food the nem catches but I think they process it and pass that along to the nem later?

I feed my fish frozen mysis and brine+spirulina. I thaw the food in a glass of tank water and dump everything in. The filter feeders do well gathering the extra liquid the fish cant.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of mine are bubbling while others have never , I can’t figure it out lol I broadcast feed mysis soaked in selcon and feed the nems once or twice a week , I did get to witness them spawning last week after topping off water that was warm

Attachments

• 82914364-0C7A-477B-B360-C3D280ECC745.jpeg
    82914364-0C7A-477B-B360-C3D280ECC745.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

This pic is after feeding the oyster juice a couple times a week for two weeks. They used to have long skinny tentacled. The nem on the bottom of the pic has not been given any of the oyster juice.
1622841014389.png

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

This pic is after feeding the oyster juice a couple times a week for two weeks. They used to have long skinny tentacled. The nem on the bottom of the pic has not been given any of the oyster juice.
1622841014389.png
That is interesting ! Maybe one day we can figure it out lol , an LFs told me low phosphate encourages bubbling aswell

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imhe healhy nems dont have bubbles but long tentacles swaying with the flow.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back