Bubbling diatoms?

F47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Here's the thing my tank is a 12 gallon nano, 3 months old and my parameters are the following:
NO4 0, NO2 0, NO3 10ppm, PO4 0.5, 9dkh, pH 8.4,Ca 445, Mg 1170, SG 1024. All test done with Salifert. Is stocked with a yellow Watchman goby, 4 blue legged ermits and a turbo snail. My problem is that I've not clean the back glass of the tank, I don't mind to see the algae growing and I thought I would be a pod food storage, everything was fine until the last week, I'm starting to see little air bubbles growing on the algae patches on the glass and only on the glass,more over the bubbling seems to be spreading to other parts of the glass. my rockwork seems a little brown a little green but with no bubbles at all. Could this be an early stage of dinoflagellates? Am I over concerning? Is it part of the uglies?
The bubbles on the glass seem to disappear at night and are not growing on threads just sticked to the algae on the glass.

Thank you all for your comments!
this is my first post.

IMG-20211212-WA0012.jpg IMG-20211212-WA0011.jpg IMG-20211212-WA0008.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. Calling those little dirty diatoms " The Uglies" is very judgemental, imo. The tank biological community goes through successional stages that people try to stop because these stages have a bad name and people want a pristine tank. The road to a pristine tank passes through these stages. Relax and let it do its thing.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF
Don't torture yourself trying to keep stuff from growing. It will pass.

OP
OP
F

F47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. Calling those little dirty diatoms " The Uglies" is very judgemental, imo. The tank biological community goes through successional stages that people try to stop because these stages have a bad name and people want a pristine tank. The road to a pristine tank passes through these stages. Relax and let it do its thing.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF
Don't torture yourself trying to keep stuff from growing. It will pass.
No, im sorry could be my english that is a little rusty, i have no problems with diatoms, thats why i left the glass without scraping, i even think the GHA looks cool eventhou is not present on my tank, but im worried about dinos, cause' i read somewhere that it is toxic and i dont want my fish or the other animals to die.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, im sorry could be my english that is a little rusty, i have no problems with diatoms, thats why i left the glass without scraping, i even think the GHA looks cool eventhou is not present on my tank, but im worried about dinos, cause' i read somewhere that it is toxic and i dont want my fish or the other animals to die.
Dinoflagellates are stringy with bubbles usually at the tips. Yours does not look like that.
My tank is about 8 years old I also don’t clean the back glass. Although my 125g has 2 MP40’s and a COR20 for the return. So I get decent water movement. That helps.
But i do get diatom on the back glass sometimes. And it happens sometimes that little micro bubbles form . Usually when I am lazy and miss a water change.
If it bothers me I use a turkey baster and blast it off right before I do a water change. It does not come back usually.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about dinos now or in the future, this is worth keeping for ID purposes. It has descriptions of the different types, along with microscope pictures.

Attachments

• Dinoflagellate guide.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 119

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back