Buck27's 240 Gallon Build

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, been awhile since I did a build thread so I thought I would go ahead and get one started for the upcoming tank.

Tank: Acrylic Creations 96x24x24 W/Coast to Coast Overflow built into the back wall (thinking 4 returns spread evenly across the back)
Stand: Steel Powder Coated Stand
Lighting: 4 GHL Mitra 7206's (running front to back rather than length wise in order to take up that 30" spread)
Flow: 2 Jebao SCP-180's (one on each side of the tank) and 2 Tunze Nanostream 6055's on the back wall to keep detritus off the back
Sump: Synergy Reef TS-60 Triton Sump 60x18x18
Refugium Light: Cheap Walmart LED that is currently on my 40 breeder refugium and is growing like crazy
Heaters: Dual 800 Watt Finnex Heaters
Skimmer: Bubble Magus D10
Return Pumps: Dual Echo Tech Marine Vectra M2 (both capable of 2000 GPH)
ATO: 25 gallon tank of some sort via Tunze ATO (currently on my 40 Breeder)
Controller: GHL Profilux 4 Ultimate Set (currently on my 40 Breeder)
Dosing: I will be dosing Cal, Alk, and Mag via GHL 4 channel doser
Testing: GHL KH Director (currently on my 40 Breeder) GHL ION Director (still debating on this one)

I am still in the planning stages of the return pumps, running the dual M2's gave me the idea that I could achieve 2400 GPH turnover without running them at full blast but also have one that could maintain if one fails, not a full 2400 GPH but still provide water movement. I may go with just one Vetra L2 and then use my Reef Octopus Varios 2 to supply my reactors if that would be enough flow. Not sure just yet.

The tank is supposedly shipping the second week of February and everything else should be on order within the next week or so. Once the tank comes I will begin posting pictures to this thread and plan to keep it updated at least weekly.

I am open to Ideas regarding the return pumps and any issues you guys out there think I may have missed. Let me know and happy reefing everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should come in mid February! I also have my sump being built by Synergy which had a 4 week lead time on it so I am hoping they come about the same time. The welder building my stand should have that done in short order then its off to get powder coated white.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them off of AliExpress I will find the name for you. There is a guy running the Mitras and these on his Instagram that has great results for half the cost of the more expensive supplemental lights out there.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to put all my photos so far of the equipment and stand in this post so its not so all over the place.

Here I have my Miracle Mud, SCP-180M Pumps, two 800 watt Finnex Heaters, my gate valve, 2 of my Mitras 7206 (I the other 2 on my 40B), an my Bubble Magus D10 Skimmer.
Equipment 1.jpg

Received my Blue PVC Pipes, Red Dragon Speedy 3 return pump, ball valves, one-way valve, Real Reef Shelf Rock, and the Caribsea Arches (I have an additional 100 pounds of Marco Rock in the garage and what I have in my 40B)
Equipment 2.jpg

Got my GHL Doser in, I currently run the Profilux 4 and KH Director on my 40B and will add this to the 40B for dosing Cal, Mag, and Trace Elements then move it all to the new tank when I set it up.
Equipment 3.jpg

Supplemental Lighting (four 48" Blue LEDs from AliExpress)
Supplemental Lighting.jpg

Steel being delivered to the welder
Steel delivery.jpg

Cutting the steel
Cutting the Steel.jpg

Cut pieces
Cut Pieces.jpg

Beveled edges
Beveled Edges .jpg

Stand Progress
Stand Progress 1.jpg

More stand progress
Stand Progress 2.jpg

Stand progress as of this posting, he is putting the tabs on it for skinning with wood
Stand Progress 3.jpg

Tank Progress1.jpg

Tank Progress2.jpg

Sump1.jpg
Sump2.jpg
Sump4.jpg
Sump6.jpg
Sump7.jpg
Sump8.jpg
Sump3.jpg Sump5.jpg
Sump wskimmer.jpg

Really impressed with the Synergy TS-60 sump. Would definitely recommend them and will use them again if and when I upgrade to a bigger tank down the road.

Last edited:

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice

im in process of upgrading to 180g

Picked up a bubble magus skimmer to, was recomended ans was free

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was recomended so thats good to know

now just need to make sure floor supports the aquarium and inspection felt floors were good to go-still worry but just being pranois

Back