Budget DIY LED Stunner strips / Moonlight

  • Thread starter Thread starter TJ's Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
2,454
Reaction score
291
Location
Everett, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, here is an inexpensive and relatively simple DIY project to add a LED Stunner Strip or Moonlights for your Reeftank.

As a Stunner Strip


I started out with a $15 automotive LED Light Effect pkg from Auto-Zone already equipped with lenses and basically water resistant. For my use I ended up cutting the wire and shortening distance in between using wire connectors and heat shrink tube to finish. If this were for a Moonlight application then the full 12-14" would be ideal. For a power supply I used an old Braun razer charging cord rated at 6v as what I had but would work with any wall-warts from 3.5 - 12v.



I then attached them to some salvaged T5 reflectors with the supplied double-back foam tape supplied in package. You could easily attach to inside of canopy or underside of most any light fixture with same foam tape.

Tested my wiring connections


Before doing both sets this pic shows unaltered string along with the one I cut down in length.


As an actinic supplement to T5's to keep Coral frags colored up in my QT


Just the LED's on above QT

I put these spread out over my 125g to see how they would look.... awesome as a Moonlighting..... forgot to take pic though

Cheers, Todd
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new