Budget Refugium light?

tom's_tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this tread because I found this light online for a refugium i'm setting up and I was wondering if people think that it would work? Feel free to drop more lights down here that you have questions about just like me.
I found this light online and i recon it should be good for growing chaeto? I just want to make sure with some experts if its ok?
Any I response is welcomed. Thanks!!

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 2.29.06 pm.png Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 2.29.00 pm.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this tread because I found this light online for a refugium i'm setting up and I was wondering if people think that it would work? Feel free to drop more lights down here that you have questions about just like me.
I found this light online and i recon it should be good for growing chaeto? I just want to make sure with some experts if its ok?
Any I response is welcomed. Thanks!!

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 2.29.06 pm.png Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 2.29.00 pm.png

Red spectrum typically does better for red macroalgaes like red ogo, red pom pom, etc.

You can also spend about $12 for a red spectrum grow light at local home improvement store - this is what I have for my macroalges... LED would be less than $12 if you pick one that is dedicated to just one lighting schedule, but this three option pick I "splurged" on bulb:
grow light LED spectrum.JPG

Now my sump refugium is just a $3.50 cent bulb (or 3 bulb pack is about $9) and you want to pick 5K light spectrum. This will work nicely for green macroalgaes:

Hard to believe that above thread is nearly 10 years old, but Marc has great advice and I'm following it for my sump refugium.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like these as I dont need to replace them for a couple of years, but bulbs do work as well. It is gonna depend on the fuge size which one i would recommend. These put out a ton of light and are better for larger fuges

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use several similar lights to what dedragon linked. I prefer full spectrum over a red spectrum but to each his own. They work really well. I use them for my reptile vivariums too and they grow plants like crazy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red spectrum typically does better for red macroalgaes like red ogo, red pom pom, etc.

You can also spend about $12 for a red spectrum grow light at local home improvement store - this is what I have for my macroalges... LED would be less than $12 if you pick one that is dedicated to just one lighting schedule, but this three option pick I "splurged" on bulb:
grow light LED spectrum.JPG

Now my sump refugium is just a $3.50 cent bulb (or 3 bulb pack is about $9) and you want to pick 5K light spectrum. This will work nicely for green macroalgaes:

Hard to believe that above thread is nearly 10 years old, but Marc has great advice and I'm following it for my sump refugium.

Why would you say red does better for red macroalgae? I'm fairly certain that is not true given the papers I read as well as red objects reflect red light (though not all red light). Especially since red algae is usually found in deeper water.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use several similar lights to what dedragon linked. I prefer full spectrum over a red spectrum but to each his own. They work really well. I use them for my reptile vivariums too and they grow plants like crazy.
I tried whiter spectrum before but it didnt grow as fast and I had more nuisance algae like hair algae take a hold. This could definitely have been due to many other variables but I have just stuck with red ever since as I havent had a reason to change. I also use the red/purple cob for growing plants and it works well, but obv wont help for the reptiles

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like these as I dont need to replace them for a couple of years, but bulbs do work as well. It is gonna depend on the fuge size which one i would recommend. These put out a ton of light and are better for larger fuges

This type of light was by far my best light ever. I had a cheap CFL bulb and switched to a par38 bulb similar to this and my macro "died back" initially but came back so much thicker and more full. Amazing growth with it, only downside to those style is they can spill over if you don't have a larger refugium area.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you say red does better for red macroalgae? I'm fairly certain that is not true given the papers I read as well as red objects reflect red light (though not all red light). Especially since red algae is usually found in deeper water.

I defer to commercial growers of red macroalgae.... that's where I was given tip. Its somewhere here on R2R if you are able to hunt down their post (and if I could remember their userID, I'd give it a shot searching).

I am very (and painfully) aware red filters out very early in water outside tank - scuba diving for lobster rolled my arm in fire coral at 20 or so feet... it looked brown, not red... After that painful red light lesson, I wanted airlifted back to shore (living aboard boat in Caribbean that vacation week)... but instead sent back down to find brain coral and rub my arm on that different coral to counteract...

EDIT: I can say my red ogo does better with my red spectrum grow light than regular 5k light bulb... Now I only use the 5K spectrum on green macroalgaes in my refuguium/sump past couple years...

EDIT 2: FOUND REFERENCE and stand corrected - thank you @Spare time and @Subsea
1673891122323.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%

Back