Budget Skimmer/ReturnPump

thundrmundr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 60 gallon with sump and stand on facebook marketplace for $200, I think the total volume is ~80 gallons. I'm a 16 year old working on this tank on a smaller budget. The equipment I need is a return pump and eventually a skimmer. What skimmer will work for the tank that won't destroy my savings and also work decently for corals? Also what gph should I look at for the return?

I also can't find good stocking recommendations so feel free to reply with that if you want.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look for a used bubble magus skimmer and a new jebao dcp (or newer) pump if you wanted really inexpensive.

For a tank that small though I don't think a skimmer is ultra important though depending on the bioload (is this a cube or a standard 60?) so just worry about buying the jebao dcp (or newer) dc pump.

Upvote 0

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. I started my first reef tank in 8th grade and had no money so I really understand. I would get a good AC pump. We have some of these Rossmont pumps on Blowout.

For a skimmer be aware of super cheap skimmers. My favorite base skimmer is a reef octopus classic skimmers. If you can find a used one that would be great but we have new ones.

Upvote 0

miguelvega76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao works good , i have a dcp and i love it. Decent power consumption , flow and price.

Protein skimmer a used bubble magus , sca or a tunze . There are a few guys selling vertex on ebay . Those are nice skimmers . Hard to find used.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back