Bugs on sps

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a sticky here relating to AEFW but is there anyone that maybe can do a sticky dealing with the different pests like red bugs, black bugs too. Kind of a general SPS pests sticky. Could have MENs too. I for sure would be interested in seeing some close ups and identifying different worms and bugs and learning which treatments work the best.
Thanks

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For these worms I would try a coral rx or revive dip not at full strength maybe a 3/4 the normal dose and add some iodine and flatworm exit. I think that’s what we used when they were eating zoas in a tank we were taking care of.
The get real sps sticky is a good idea. We should start a thread and ask about what are all the odd pests people have had. I know there are spiders and nudi that eat acropora too that people don’t see often.

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures?
Yeah I will. Getting ready to start chipping SPS off the rocks and dip. I've used the Melafix in the past and they came right off.

Long term treatment hasnt been good. I thought I had them gone, but now that I notice my sps is starting to STN at the bottom i realize my cleaner wrasse has been gone for about a month. Jumped out the canopy.

I did in fact trace this back last night and I did find where the critter came from. What shipment, salty thing is it was all zoas that I had bought. I have a YouTube channel so I video every unboxing etc.... not that they make the cut but I was going thru my old folders and videos last night.
They came in on coral around June July last year and they had went thru a double dip. First Bayer and then Revive. Probably didnt get some eggs. And actually I havent seen anything that look like eggs. I. The

20200330_021919.jpg 20200330_021851.jpg

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black speck in the central area. It was moving while I was recording and didint even notice that's whith my macro lens on

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t view the videos but I’d the black spec is what your seeing I would think you have black bugs or something different. The slug like things in the original post here are fairly big and easy to see.

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t view the videos but I’d the black spec is what your seeing I would think you have black bugs or something different. The slug like things in the original post here are fairly big and easy to see.
Heres a still shot from the video. They are very similar if not the same. They even move the same as the video in this thread.... creepy. Just fragged and dipped all the smaller colonies of Acros.

20200330_193744.jpg 20200330_193759.jpg 20200330_193812.jpg

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see them at the base of this WWC HEARTB
20200330_175335.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone that has seen the black bugs can Id them but I still think they are probably different. The slug type ones always seem to take the color of what they are eating too.

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone that has seen the black bugs can Id them but I still think they are probably different. The slug type ones always seem to take the color of what they are eating too.
They arent a black cop
Those look like the eggs that were these bugs

For me, dipping them did get them to come off. I use mecoral 4x dip, and I can dip my sps in there forever and they seem to be okay.

I would probably have each frag in first tub for 15 minutes? Then in second tub for 10. Third tub is just tank water for rinse off.

Did you ever beat them. These are what my pests look like. I just cannot get clear video of them

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the body shape of those look different than the slug ones I had on zoas but they could be a very similar pest. Maybe try and get the best video or pic you can and start a new thread asking for help. It seems like there are probably a few different types of black bugs. It I haven’t seen any In person yet. We beat the zoa ones that take the color of the coral pretty easily by just dipping a few times. The black ones I keep reading are much harder to kill or even get to come off the coral.

murphys_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the body shape of those look different than the slug ones I had on zoas but they could be a very similar pest. Maybe try and get the best video or pic you can and start a new thread asking for help. It seems like there are probably a few different types of black bugs. It I haven’t seen any In person yet. We beat the zoa ones that take the color of the coral pretty easily by just dipping a few times. The black ones I keep reading are much harder to kill or even get to come off the coral.
Great suggestion. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Back