Top 4 things you like to see in a build thread:

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what my fellow reefers like to see in a build thread. I do my best to keep my thread updated, fun, varied, and full of pictures but now I want to know what you would recommend to someone starting a new build thread if they would want YOU to follow it.

I'm asking that you only pick your top 4 preferences so we can establish some kind of ranking.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see and read about the equipment, parameters, maintenance routines and struggles myself. I feel like I learn more from those types of build threads. Next would be complex creatures to keep. Coral and fish pics are cool, but feel like that is an effect from a well kept reef system.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first thing in every tank thread should be an image of what the tank looks like right now. Details on the whole build process of course then once the tank is up and running I like to see what issues people are facing and how they are overcoming them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing I most look for isn't in your list :eek:. Admittedly, I really only look at the really big tanks, but I want to see how folks designed and constructed their system - stand, plumbing, etc. - for any ideas I can replicate. Equipment choices next. Aquascaping after that. Then maintenance approach.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. And for a Few Dollars More!:D But seriously, I am looking for anything I can learn from. Especially any problems encountered and the solutions. Anything that can help guide my reefing direction, and with a little fun on the way!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol well @Brew12 lol you could always be like me and go off topic, and still be on topic in the same post lol:). What I love the most about build threads, is the experiment one goes through. I do love the pics, and how one does everything also to spark new ideas.

At the same time, as all this facinates me, sometimes just being off topic or being silly makes it even more fun. I guess it’s kinda when people go to watch oh the huge bowl or large football bowl for football whatever it’s called, and they focus on food, and commercials instead. :)

It’s also nice to see how they make their tank their own personal tank, and touch. There are soooo many saltwater tanks but none are the same it’s soooo neat. It’s also nice to see people experiment, with different equipment and or methods. Not only new thoughts but their problems, and issues as well. It’s amazing how reading ones issues can reallt help me prevent or solve a problem similar to theirs.

I will be excited to read your new build thread and all of the fun details. When are you actually going to start the build anyway?

Sincerely
Sarah

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS are sadly too rare. Macros are nice, but I miss FTS
+1 I like full tank shots as well.

The only thing I find is that how often should you post a full tank shot, if it hasn’t changed that much, once a week to refresh the mind, one a month ?

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I like full tank shots as well.

The only thing I find is that how often should you post a full tank shot, if it hasn’t changed that much, once a week to refresh the mind, one a month ?

Once a month is more than enough. It takes time to show progress in a FTS.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put FTS but for me it is the FTS as part of the story of the tank, including what led to the equipment and livestock choices and the struggles and successes. I also read build threads to learn and copy and to be in awe of pics and videos of the tank.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be excited to read your new build thread and all of the fun details. When are you actually going to start the build anyway?
New build thread? :eek: I didn't realize I was going to start up another system!!!

My current tank is under a year old, giving this one a chance to grow out and stabilize before I even consider setting up another! ;)

I agree with 1 a month. I tried to set up the 2nd post of my build thread to show monthly progress at first. It always has the most current FTS on top, but then skips to quarterly in the interest of saving space. I did put links to all of the monthly FTS's that I pulled. That way people have an idea of how quickly/slowly tank progress happened for me.

Could you please add sense of humor to your list?
I was going to add a few more, but the list was already so long... :confused:

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe have an always updated fts on the first page... so people can get an instant idea what the tank looks like. Everyone has their own personal taste with tanks they like... so would save some time browsing through the thread pages trying to see what the tank looks like.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back