Top 4 things you like to see in a build thread:

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build thread? :eek: I didn't realize I was going to start up another system!!!

My current tank is under a year old, giving this one a chance to grow out and stabilize before I even consider setting up another! ;)

I agree with 1 a month. I tried to set up the 2nd post of my build thread to show monthly progress at first. It always has the most current FTS on top, but then skips to quarterly in the interest of saving space. I did put links to all of the monthly FTS's that I pulled. That way people have an idea of how quickly/slowly tank progress happened for me.

I was going to add a few more, but the list was already so long... :confused:

Sounds like a challange @Brew12, I suggest you accept that challange ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you get my wife's permission for me to do it. If you are brave enough! :p
Ha! I can't even get my own wifes permission, let-alone someone elses ;Hilarious

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1:
Start with the how and show it

#2:
Show the good bad and ugly. Many threads I have read are just "look at how great my tank is"

#3:
Pictures of the whole tank! And not 20 zooomed in pics of one Coral after another. Growth comparison pics! FTS, sump photos.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what my fellow reefers like to see in a build thread. I do my best to keep my thread updated, fun, varied, and full of pictures but now I want to know what you would recommend to someone starting a new build thread if they would want YOU to follow it.

I'm asking that you only pick your top 4 preferences so we can establish some kind of ranking.

I think you left off a big choice...Details on how something was built, setup, or problem solved! When new to reefing this is important for others to learn from!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1:
Start with the how and show it

#2:
Show the good bad and ugly. Many threads I have read are just "look at how great my tank is"

#3:
Pictures of the whole tank! And not 20 zooomed in pics of one Coral after another. Growth comparison pics! FTS, sump photos.
Sump photo's are a great idea. Something I don't do and really should. Great suggestion!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you left off a big choice...Details on how something was built, setup, or problem solved! When new to reefing this is important for others to learn from!
I thought about putting it on there, but left it off because I felt it would be everyone's first choice. Not to mention it wouldn't be a "build thread" without the build.
But you are right.. kicking myself for having left it off. With so many votes in already I think it would mess things up if I made the change at this point.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I am shocked maintenance practices are scoring this high, along with equipment choices. Does this imply that people spend more time browsing build threads as a learning opportunity than to be social or look at pictures?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to admit that I am shocked maintenance practices are scoring this high, along with equipment choices. Does this imply that people spend more time browsing build threads as a learning opportunity than to be social or look at pictures?
I do both. I look at tank pics and ask questions. If the op is gracious enough to explain it, I'm thrilled.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them all, but really prefer to see how other reefers build their systems - small and large. I like to see what makes successful reef tanks tick. I usually skim through close up photos of inhabitants, but I do like good FTS photos and sump pics.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing...failures and uglies need to be documented! They inspire discussions that help others resolve the same issue, or at least be better prepared.
You mean people actually break bulkheads, get water on the floor and drop their phones in the tank?

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing how their equipment and maintenance choices worked out is a huge part of me coming back to a thread after it is running

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have come to notice more and more..... Viewers love pictures.
As said.... " Every picture tells a Story !! "

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see the mechanics of it all. Let's see your DIY sump and refugium. Take detailed pics of your plumbing and drains. Show us how you mounted your lights inside the canopy and kept them cool. Show us your DIY stand made from wood, steel, aluminum etc..

Show us your controller and probes and explain why you mounted them here, or over there. Show us your wiring and how you cleaned it up to look nice and neat. Lemme see your programming code - I'm new to controllers and have no idea how to even begin basic setup.

Do you have a controller app on your phone? How does it work? Has it alerted you to a possible problem and given you time to run home and fix it beforte it turned into a tank crash? Details please.

I really don't get too excited about fish, leathers or SPS corals.

Would love to see a FTS when it's built -- and a follow up FTS every 3 months to show progressive coral growth.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what my fellow reefers like to see in a build thread. I do my best to keep my thread updated, fun, varied, and full of pictures but now I want to know what you would recommend to someone starting a new build thread if they would want YOU to follow it.

I'm asking that you only pick your top 4 preferences so we can establish some kind of ranking.

Heck yeah, maintenance practices is holding it's own with FTS even!!! :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only real want is that the people transition from the build into the day to day. We are seeing too many people go for the perfect build and then their tank sucks since they had the stomach for a build, but not the actual hobby. I guess that if a build thread never dies, then that would be my suggestion. I also think that it would be cool for the OP to update the first post with quarterly incremental shots so that I do not have to scan 30 pages - Admins, get on this.

I can do without a few things... photos of the stuff in the boxes that FedEx just dropped off. It also kills me when I see a nice tank with a clear back with the salt creep and cords showing. I really DO NOT want to see any equipment preferences unless the poster has used other stuff and has a breath and depth of experience to know what is what... what a first-tank person chose is of no consequence to me.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back