OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been so afraid the tank was going to crash through the floor, but finally made some progress tonight.

IMG_3475.jpg
I bought that metal stand on the right for about $40 from Target last year to be a speaker mount, but its dimensions are perfect for the sump area. I'll use it to start, until I learn what's the best way to deal with power strips/plugs/etc.

Also, added an $8 battery powered motion sensored led light strip to the upper left of the cabinet. Saw another thread that used Torchlights LEDs and ordered them, but while they work well, they are way too powerful for the small sump place, so I'm returning them to reduce clutter. One less thing to plug in.

IMG_3475.jpg

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you know, but there is a plastic flap that can be removed from the overflow section so that the light can be mounted dead centre.
Yes, but I have a second light yet to be mounted.

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
er, can't find the instructions.... the box seems to imply 3 x 125 gallons.....

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG
Actually, since the UV filter does nothing but shine light I guess the amount of water that flows through it is whatever your pump pushes.

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was supposed to be one of these in each of the 3 bags of sand I put in the tank. I only have 2. One must be buried in the tank. Hopefully I will find it floating on the top of the water one day.

IMG_6460.jpg

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift off! Filled the tank and sump and plugged in the pump for the first time. I've been fearing water everywhere but it's all ok so far. Started cycling with a shrimp and some bioculture called "MicroBacter7" by Brightwell Aquatics.

Not running the UV filter yet. Turning off the skimmer for a few hours after I add the bioculture (everyday for 2 weeks it says).

IMG_0719.jpg

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having trouble with the ATO. I removed the white needle valve altogether and it flows. But the float seems to work the opposite to how it should. If I push the float down as far as it goes, it stops flowing. If I let go, it flows. Is there something to adjust?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift off! Filled the tank and sump and plugged in the pump for the first time. I've been fearing water everywhere but it's all ok so far. Started cycling with a shrimp and some bioculture called "MicroBacter7" by Brightwell Aquatics.

Not running the UV filter yet. Turning off the skimmer for a few hours after I add the bioculture (everyday for 2 weeks it says).

IMG_0719.jpg
On your shrimp for cycling you might want to put it in a media bag with a draw string to keep crud from drifting around. I used a pantyhose stocking from my girlfriend and tied a knot at the end of it.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having trouble with the ATO. I removed the white needle valve altogether and it flows. But the float seems to work the opposite to how it should. If I push the float down as far as it goes, it stops flowing. If I let go, it flows. Is there something to adjust?

Sounds like its upside-down

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now the problem is that it won't stop dripping no matter the position of the float. The return chamber is fuller than the 6 inches the instructions say to have in it.

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put aside the ATO problem for the moment and set up the second Hydra 26. New problem: how do you set up the parent/child relationship with these things? Only way to add the second light appears to be the same way as the first.

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Danner Mag 7 isn’t getting quieter. Can hear it while in bed upstairs.

What’s a good quiet replacement? Various 2 or 4?

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ordered a dampening pad for the pump first. This:

Diversitech MP-4E Eva Anti Vibration Pad, 4 x 4 x 7/8"
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazoQ2AAW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bTDHCb0RTQ12Zn.com/dp/B008H

We shall see if that helps.

Meanwhile, need to choose a powerhead. Was going to go MP40 but I'm reading some reviews that the noise is an issue, and noise is top priority for me. Seems like people who own Tunze powerheads report that they are quiet. Anyone have an opinion about which is better?

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ordered a dampening pad for the pump first. This:

Diversitech MP-4E Eva Anti Vibration Pad, 4 x 4 x 7/8"
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazoQ2AAW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bTDHCb0RTQ12Zn.com/dp/B008H

We shall see if that helps.

Meanwhile, need to choose a powerhead. Was going to go MP40 but I'm reading some reviews that the noise is an issue, and noise is top priority for me. Seems like people who own Tunze powerheads report that they are quiet. Anyone have an opinion about which is better?

---If the link to the dampening pad doesn't work for you, try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HQ2AAW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back