Build thread: Red Sea Reefer 250

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first post here. I am a newbie, although I kept 3 tanks (2 cichlid tanks and 1 marine tank) back in grad school in the 90s, when undergravel filters were a thing.

I ended up going going with the Red Sea Reefer 250 because of it's modern looks. Couldn't really go bigger in the spot that I chose for it (second floor condo). I went with a pair of the AI Hydra 26s which comes with the deluxe version of the 250, although it appears the deluxe option is no longer available from Red Sea. The LFS recommended a Danner Pond-Mag (model 7) for the return pump and a Corallife Turbo Twist 3x UV filter. I still need to choose a powerhead(s).

The stand was easy to build. The first issue was leveling it. I spent a lot of time researching how best to it, and ended up shimming it with composite shims. I was worried that they might slip against the plastic feet of the 250, and asked Red Sea support about it and researched it, but didn't get clear answers anywhere. In the end I shimmed the feet. It's level and solid, but there are 2 feet (near the lowest corner) where I can slip a piece of paper under them, but cannot fit a shim. Researched this, and asked Red Sea. Red Sea says all feet should make contact. So next problem is finding something to fit under them. I tried a butter knife and could push them in, so I need to find something as thin as my knife.

After this, I need to figure out where to place the UV filter. The ATO is in the way of the ideal spot.

IMG_0583.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Forgot the GFCI outlet. I went back and forth about installing it myself after researching via youtube and ended up installing it myself. There were 2 cables in the outlet and I ended up finding out which was the live wire by mistake, with my finger! Also figured out how to straighten the doors via the hinges.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Forgot the GFCI outlet. I went back and forth about installing it myself after researching via youtube and ended up installing it myself. There were 2 cables in the outlet and I ended up finding out which was the live wire by mistake, with my finger! Also figured out how to straighten the doors via the hinges.
Ouch! That doesent sound to fun! Welcome to reef2reef! Excited to see your build unfold!

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Easy corals.

Need to decide on a powerhead. LFS recommend a Gyre, but I see many MP40s out there. And now AI has a pump that I could control with the same app that controls my Hydras. Don't know yet.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the RsR250 Club!!!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are all here to help.
Also start up a build Thread so we can track your progress...

OP
OP
Gary Jaz

Gary Jaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the lights from the windows will be an issue?

So I researched that issue and it seems that getting some sunlight isn't a bad thing in a reef tank. Right now in winter, one corner catches some light in the morning and afternoon, maybe a total of 2 hours. We shall see.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back