Build Thread: Red Sea Reefer 525xl

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
This will be my first build thread. I recently moved, and had 3 tanks up and running. I decided to consolidate everything into one tank (Red Sea Reefer 525xl).

My previous tanks:
Red Sea Reefer 350
IM Nuvo 30l
70 gallon custom frag tank

The plan was to build the new Reefer 525xl at the new place, do a water test, then transfer the contents of the 3 tanks a few days later. I'll start with pics of my previous tanks. They are all for sale, however I've already sold the Reefer 350.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...frag-tank-w-custom-stand.353337/#post-4442272

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fs-30l-gallon-im-nuvo-tank-stand.357803/

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_8705.jpeg

IMG_2495.JPG

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank transfer was pretty intense, I'll admit. I lost a 3 year old tri-color wrasse and my 3 1/2 year old chromis died after two days, although he had been acting strange for a week prior, so I think it was a matter of time with him.

Current fish stock that made it safe and sound:
Tomini Tang
Lyretail Anthia
Yellowbelly Damsel
Yellow Watchman Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish

I plan on adding some more fish eventually. Open to suggestions. Only one I want for sure is a Yellow coris wrasse.

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be adding pics of equipment over the next few days. At the moment, its on basic life support. Heaters and return are on, as well as Maxspect razors and a single gyre 150 on a pulse mode.

I'll be hooking up the apex and modules this week. Also looking to hook up the skimmer, doser, t5's, battery backups, etc.

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad that you don’t have more time! Did you build the frag tank yourself and if so, how did you make it?

It was a custom build by Artfully Acrylic. A friend of mine had it and the custom stand built. I inherited the system when he moved to the east coast.

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates. Got some work done on the electronics this weekend. Apex is up and running. I have 2 gyres going, one on each side of the tank. Haven't been able to program them yet so it will be offset pulsing for now. Will research a bit with dual gyres.
Doser is up and running.
Glued more coral onto the rocks to get them out of the sand.
Still working on wire management. I'm using a tall cabinet for a lot of the electronics to keep it clean under the stand.
IMG_4201.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG
IMG_4203.JPG

Beckbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates. Got some work done on the electronics this weekend. Apex is up and running. I have 2 gyres going, one on each side of the tank. Haven't been able to program them yet so it will be offset pulsing for now. Will research a bit with dual gyres.
Doser is up and running.
Glued more coral onto the rocks to get them out of the sand.
Still working on wire management. I'm using a tall cabinet for a lot of the electronics to keep it clean under the stand.
IMG_4201.JPG
IMG_4200.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG
IMG_4203.JPG
I like the cabinet idea

OP
OP
scobeyra

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's been doing great lately so thought I'd finally post an update.
Unfortunately, about a year ago I had a doser go out and my alk dropped pretty low. Once I figured it out, got it back online, the alk then spiked too quickly causing a pretty bad die off for a lot of my encrusting and plating corals. Most sps survived, but were ticked for a while. But it's been stable for a while so everyones pretty happy (knock on wood).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back