OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend was able to get the tank filled, and the cycle started. I am using Dr.Tims method.

First time adding water resulted in a leak, but I was able to quickly fix it (phew). I definitely recommend filling from the overflow first, as I would have been in more trouble otherwise.

leak.jpg

I also got my dosing containers built/calibrated/ready to go for when it's coral time! I just used some VOSS water bottles, added some bulkheads, and scratched off the etching.

dos.jpg

Skimmer is going crazy, hoping it calms down by the time my cycle is over. Can't wait for livestock!
full.jpg

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, update time! Not quite sure where to start, as I have been pretty busy.

First of all, to anyone else thinking about it, I would not recommend buying a used Trident. I have had to take the whole thing apart 3 times to get lines cleared/pinch valves un stuck, etc.. Thankfully it has all been working well for a few days, and they are pretty simple when it comes down to it.

trident.jpeg

Secondly, I have added a chunk of livestock to the tank since my last update. My cycle went pretty quickly, and I have not lost anything yet! (knock on wood).

Fish/inverts:
2 clowns
yellow watchman goby
pistol shrimp
tail spot blenny
flame hawkfish
six line wrasse
fire fish
cleaner shrimp
misc snails/2 conches
emerald crab
bubble tip nem

Coral:
Birdsnest
couple other SPS, I can't remember their name
green hammers
purple/green frog spawn
red/green mushrooms
finger leather
ricordia mushroom
green hairy mushroom
zoa/polys
GSP
duncan

I know it's a lot to add so early... but I couldn't help myself, and have decided to not add anything else for at least a few weeks to be sure that all continues going well.

Funnily enough, after I added the bubble tip, my clowns decided that they wanted to host my chaos zoas, so they have had a few black dots popping up on them, but from what I read, it should not be anything to worry about.
clown-spot.jpeg

zoa.jpeg

My goby/pistol are somehow yet to find each other. My cleaner shrimp and the pistol have seemed to buddy up and mostly hang around the same rock.

cleaner.jpeg

I got this ricordia mushroom from someone locally, and the thing has already split once, and is working on another split now. Seems too fast to split to me, and can only guess it was in the process when I got it, but I am not complaining! Also got this nice frogspawn from the LFS yesterday.
ric.jpeg

My water mixing station has worked great so far. I have not yet taken over the entire pantry, but I have definitely laid claim on more shelves than I first intended.

pantry.jpeg

mix.jpeg

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

full.jpeg

The only ongoing problems I seem to have at the moment are my water clarity, glass cleaning, and skimmer micro-bubbles. Every time after feeding, the skimmer spews micro-bubbles into the display for 10-15 minutes. No big deal, but a little annoying. My bubble trap doesn't seem to be catching them all.

Not sure what the deal is on my water clarity, but looking into the tank I can definitely see a slight fog. I just ordered a pouch and some carbon. Figure I will try this before going for the full blown UV sterilizer.

I don't mind cleaning the glass every other day, but do wish I could get more time in between scrubs.

I am loving it so far. Already kind of wishing I had a bigger tank so I could get a tang gang going, but this will work for now! I am anxious for the inevitable problems to come up, but so far, all has been good.

I will try to borrow a camera filter for the next update and get some better pictures. My phone does absolutely no justice.

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running carbon, most of my clarity issues have seem to gone away. Also do not see any more issues with skimmer micro bubbles. So far, everything is smooth sailing! I added just a couple more corals over the last few weeks ;)
20220403_163740.jpg

20220403_163712.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running carbon, most of my clarity issues have seem to gone away. Also do not see any more issues with skimmer micro bubbles. So far, everything is smooth sailing! I added just a couple more corals over the last few weeks ;)
20220403_163740.jpg

20220403_163712.jpg
Wow you have been busy, looking good!

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank has come a long long way in a very short time! Should be proud. Never even really had an ugly stage. I didn’t either but I think yours was even less than mine. I think you are ready for a few of my SPS frags.

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has come a long long way in a very short time! Should be proud. Never even really had an ugly stage. I didn’t either but I think yours was even less than mine. I think you are ready for a few of my SPS frags.
Thanks! Yeah, I would like to give them a shot! The ugly stage never came in too bad. Am happy to have skipped that.

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad to see how good everything looked in my last update compared to now...

Over the last month I have lost:
- torch
- digi
- monti
- birdsnest
- hammer
With another hammer, and my hollywood stunner on their way out. Even some of my zoas look sadder than they used to.

I have decided to try and not add anything else until it calms down. Not sure what the cause is. My params look okay, no pests that I have seen. Maybe it's just that I added to much to soon into a tank that has not matured enough.

Thankfully I have not lost any fish yet (knock on wood), and am still enjoying the hobby. Although it is definitely aggravating at times.

20220517_165328.jpg
20220517_165339.jpg
20220517_165418.jpg
20220517_165349.jpg
20220517_165407.jpg

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a bunch of new corals. Figure it's time for an update. I have gotten my nitrates and phosphates mostly in check by dosing nopox. One thing I do not understand is that my phosphates have dropped, but my nitrates still seems to be high. phos sitting at 0.06, and nitrate fluctuate between 18-21.

7.jpeg
1.jpeg
6.jpeg
5.jpeg
4.jpeg
3.jpeg
2.jpeg

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been two months. Tank is looking a bit different now.. I had quite a few deaths for reasons I can't seem to figure out. Mostly with my frog spawn and hammers (polyp bail out). My best guess at this point is that I had an alk swing, or my ATO went haywire and lowered my salinity. Other than my nitrate being a tad higher than I would like (hovers around ~25ppm) my params look okay.

I did add a refugium to the sump to hopefully help with nitrates. The chaeto is growing, however my nitrates have not dropped (what the heck?). It has only been running a couple of weeks, so hoping it kicks into gear here soon.

I also decided to run my skimmer air line outside to help with PH. I have noticed a decent bump, but it's still not up to where I would like it (hovers between 8-8.15)

A few of my favorite recent additions include the mystery wrasse, New York Knix torch, a (supposedly) 24k torch, elegance coral, and this fox coral (which I hated at first)

PXL_20220902_184928492.jpg
PXL_20220902_184952336.jpg
PXL_20220902_184958881.jpg
PXL_20220902_185030950.jpg
PXL_20220902_185038517.jpg
20220813_134812.jpg
20220813_140245.jpg

OP
OP
atruex

atruex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, bittersweet weekend. The tank lasted 9 months. Our kitchen flooded, they no longer made the LVP the tank was sitting on, and the contractors required me to move the tank to the garage. Tore it all down yesterday (with the help of @ID-Reefer & my wife), and took all livestock down to the LFS.

Since I was going to have to tear it all down anyway, I figured now was the best time to upgrade to a bigger tank. I am picking up a RSR 525 XL G2 tomorrow! I will probably start a new build thread for that one. Hoping I can take a few lessons learned from this tank, and make this one even better.

A few pictures of the tear down/current state of my house. If anyone is looking for a 200XL, I have one available!
PXL_20221126_204029428.jpg

PXL_20221126_220523160.jpg

PXL_20221126_220531473.jpg

PXL_20221126_220538719.jpg

PXL_20221127_034204770.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back