Status
Not open for further replies.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok just read through and you are doing a great job!

What light schedule did you end up using?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the gem doing so far? ( I'm sure fine )

We pick ours up tomorrow and are getting a bit nervous haha

Did you put yours in an acclimation box in the DT first or just drop it in with the others?

After QT of course. :)

Nail bitting!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She's doing great! Let me give you a whole picture of where we were at so we can put your mind at ease.

These were the fish already in the tank:
  • Dejardini Sailfin Tang
  • Black Ice Snowflake - 2X
  • Yellow Belly Blue Tang
  • Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp
  • Tomini Tang
  • Scooter Blenny - 2X
  • Blue Mandarin Dragonet
  • Green Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
  • Loubouti Wrasse
  • Borbonias Anthias - 3X
  • Flame Wrasse
  • Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
  • Ruby Red Scooter Blennies - 2X
  • Achilles Tang
  • Blue Spot Jawfish
Seeing as though we had 4 tangs, I was super nervous to put her in. Especially since our Sailfin was our 1st fish. It's much bigger and it's super territorial.

The day we knew we were picking up our gem tang (if you need fish that are QT'd and super healthy, check out @OceanDevotionLA), we adjusted the lighting schedule to make sure that it turned off at 6pm so that it would be super dark in the tank and we gave the fish in the tank some time to get comfortable and go to bed.

We acclimated the gem for about 45 minutes in our sump and then just plopped her in a corner of the tank that we know no fish sleep and we crossed our fingers. We have a night camera on the tank so we could sort of keep an eye on her, but she did just fine. She hung out in the corner of the tank.

There was definitely some shows of dominance in the tank the next morning when the sun came up and the lights on, but no one was actively trying to kill anyone. We were extremely happy.

Also, you should note that we didn't add any of our tangs at the same time in our tank. So, it can be done. I don't know if we're extremely lucky or if adding them at night really does make a huge difference. Anyhow, good luck and I can't wait to see your gem!! :)
Thank you for the mind easing :)

I checked out ocean devotion and they look really nice, definitely different from most and wish we would have found your thread before hahah We were originally going to get one from Mike at NYaquatics for 400+shipping with only a DOA guarantee. Which I understand, but a lot can happen during acclimation especially within the first few hours depending how the vendors keep their fish. I've heard low salinity is common to keep issues in the fish suppressed. And with a DOA only policy, that leaves the reefer left with a big burden.....BUT a local shop got one in about a month ago that we have been able to watch each week. Its been getting bigger and bigger and we have never seen any signs of any issues. We get some of our corals from them so their water has been introduced into our system over time.

It is 600 which is a bit more but we are also already watching the fish and watching it eat and supporting a local shop which I believe goes a long way.

I'm thinking we will do what you did and start in our sump lights out and then transfer at night with low light into the display.

The gem is about half the size of the purple and yellow so I'm hoping they don't bully him too much.

Fingers crossed it all goes well ;)

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh boy what a ride to get a gem tang.....sorry to spam your thread but I wanted to let you know how it went lol

First we went back to the LFS that had the one we have been watching for the past couple weeks and it was a disaster. Since the last time we were in the gem had gotten a slightly swollen eye (pop eye) and really bad HLLE. Like most vendors they keep medication and hyposalinty in their tanks to suppress things but seeing the poor thing so malnourished and in such bad shape I couldn't do it....so we passed.

We then set up an email with Mike at NY aquatics. We purchased our purple tang from him about a year ago and had a good experience so we thought we would give him another try with the gem. It helped that they were only $399.

Boy did that price tag come with some stress....Its sad because our first transaction was great.

This started out with me contacting Mike on R2R asking if he had any gems left in stock. He replied he did and said they were $499.

I was confused because after googling gem tang his site comes up with them for $399.

I thought he was just trying to make a quick $100 and didn't want to make a deal of it. So I did not mention it to Mike and began to make my purchase online for $399.

Mike was in contact over email for the first few transactions then after my purchase he was only using 1 or 2 word answers. He was put of the 2", but had a 3" Thats fine I don't need a friend just a healthy fish. Fish purchased Monday evening and planned for Tuesday shipping with Wednesday delivery.

Well I get an email Tuesday afternoon from Mike saying he had to switch the delivery address due to his system not wanting to print the label for the actual address I gave him. Unfortunately I live on an island and the address I gave him was the only one I can make it to.

A lot of banter over the phone left it with Mike calling fedex to have them hold it at the original address I gave him. Which is the actual FedEx sort facility. I have no clue why he took it upon himself to change the address. To this day he says he was told to by a fed ex employee.

All in all I got the fish this morning and here she/he is. Ill update in the gem tang section once she/he is out of QT. Even tho Mike says his fish are free of disease I am not risking it.

I learned a valuable lesson that only cost a bit of time and frustration....Cheaper is not always better!

I am not starting a vendor feedback thread as the fish is fat and healthy and thats what matters most.

Sorry for the spam and now back to Esther's beautiful tank!!!

20201007_113058.jpg 20201007_113102.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a Gem at my lfs, maybe 5 inches, gorgeous fish, owned by a mate of mine, it has been in a large coral tray for a few years, he moved house and is working on a new tank, his last was 8 x 6 x 2.5, I feed her by hand when there are no customers around, she zooms over as soon as she sees me, I so wish she was mine

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish! So, it’s 3”? Good luck!!!
That was another issue but we are letting a lot go today

Its definitely 4" with the tail and just a tad bigger than our purple.

There is a Gem at my lfs, maybe 5 inches, gorgeous fish, owned by a mate of mine, it has been in a large coral tray for a few years, he moved house and is working on a new tank, his last was 8 x 6 x 2.5, I feed her by hand when there are no customers around, she zooms over as soon as she sees me, I so wish she was mine
Man such personality, love it!

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just read through your entire Thread. Very impressive! Have been out of the hobby for about 8 years and now we are wanting to get back into it as well. Trying to decide if we go custom or with the Waterbox 220 or a Red Sea Max 650. Leaning towards waterbox. Only had a 100 gal display in the past so looking to go bigger this time. Really like your stock list - have had many of the same fish and some of the same SPS and Zoas.

Have you been happy with all of your hardware (skimmer, pumps etc.?). How about the tank and sump? Getting back into it after a long layoff is a bit overwhelming since I kept nothing and have forgotten a lot. Looking at building a mixing station and building up supplies but want to get a tank ordered and can’t decide which way to go. Anyway would appreciate any feedback and again very impressive build.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words! Love the Waterbox. Can't really complain. Honestly, it hasn't been a year yet, but I'm happy with all of the equipment so far. The only thing we don't use any more is the Kessil light that we bought for the refugium. It didn't grow any macro algae. Ended up buying a grow light from Amazon that works so much better and was like 1/10 the price. I'm thinking maybe the skimmer might not be strong enough for our tank, but I think I just haven't figured out how best to tune it. So, it may be user error.

Not sure where you're located, but the one thing that I'm glad I did this time around vs. the last time we were in the hobby, is that we bought all of our fish from ONE source who has a robust QT process. That part of the experience is sooooooo much better. I just remember the last time we were in the hobby we lost fish all the time because of one disease or another that it was defeating. Definitely worth the extra money to do it right.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about anything. More than happy to help!
Couldn't agree more about buying from pre-QT sources! I have an order in from OceanDevotionLA as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back