Building a tank around lionfish. Ideas? Suggestions?

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, R2R.

Back again trying to learn what I can. Ok, I’m convinced I’m getting 125g tank and I want a lionfish to be the “star” of the tank (at least for me) so I’m building around it. This is going to be a living room tank so it needs to have kind of a “wow” factor to it. My partner thinks the lionfish is ugly, so I have to offset the lionfish with other, more appealing fish for him.

I know tangs are an option. And he even kind of likes eels. So, there’s another option. For 125g, how many fish should I have considering there will be at least 1 predator in the group?

Basically, I come here for everything before I get started on a project and the feedback I get from here is literally my guidebook for building my tanks. Any and all advice/suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Huenemedoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

I have been wanting to do a similar build. From what I have learned, Lionfish are can be pretty peaceful but you have to stay away from any triggers or other fish that might nip at its fins. Curious to hear what some people with some actual lion experience say.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the pleasure of raising a Volit. Lion fish. I purchased at a petco ironically. It was tiny, like a half dollar size, looked like a see through spider.

It went from a 30g, to a 60, 90 and finally 180. The size of a small (kids) soccer ball when I sold the whole system. It’s a beautiful fish. Your partner will grow to love!

Super chill and non aggressive. Though they say it will eat anything that fits in its mouth, mine was well feed (daily, except maybe 1 skip day every two weeks).

Ate frozen foods and the occasional ghost shrimp. I housed with a clown fish (who was tough and no one ever bothered), a porc puffer, fox face, and a huma trigger.

Have fun! You’ll love them. Get good filtration and a good skimmer!

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started in the hobby eons ago there was no such thing as a reef setup...so fish only. I had a couple of lion fish, a puffer, a blue tang, clown trigger and a few others. Everyone got along but I would may sure that the fish are too big for the lion to be interested in. I would occasionally fee the lions live goldfish.

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lion fish are you thinking? Lion fish as stated shouldn’t live with anything that can fit into its mouth or any shrimp.

Depending on the type lion fish will determine how you should set up your aquascape as well (caves, overhangs, open swimming).

Also a good filtration system is required due to the feedings and waste created from being a predator tank

I had mine with a porcupine puffers (great personality)

OP
OP
g.knight

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lion fish are you thinking? Lion fish as stated shouldn’t live with anything that can fit into its mouth or any shrimp.

Depending on the type lion fish will determine how you should set up your aquascape as well (caves, overhangs, open swimming).

Also a good filtration system is required due to the feedings and waste created from being a predator tank

I had mine with a porcupine puffers (great personality)
Great question. I wish I could give you a solid answer, but I'm a little conflicted myself. Initially, I wanted the Volitan. It seems like it would be big enough to be the "star" of the tank and 125g seems to be an appropriate size. However, I get a tad concerned when I start thinking about other fish. It seems conventional wisdom is to get fish bigger than the lionfish's mouth, but those start to be pretty big and a 125g can get full quick with fish of that size. So, I'm definitely open to dwarf lions.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dwarf fuzzy in a mixed reef similar size, I hand fed it every day but it would still take flake at feed time for everyone, I had cleaner shrimps, no issues.

OP
OP
g.knight

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to tag the R2R expert and see if I can get a response.

@lion king any advice/suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best choice for a community tank lion is a volitan. All the other lions will have fedding challenges that will take a tremendous amount of time, patience, and diligence for long term success. A volitan will usually take a variety of dead foods and their nutritional needs can be met for long term success. The others usually have a difficult time taking many dead foods that would be necessary for their long term success, and because of this don't survive long in captivity.

A volitan will easily become the show stopper, "wow" factor you are looking for, a happy volitan will be cruising putting on a show, begging, and will seem like they know you. In a 125g look at dwarf angels and small tangs. They are pretty enough to keep your partner happy. A one spot foxface is a pretty and interesting fish, as well as a harlequin tusk or similar broad bodied wrasse.

The thing about a lion is their prey needs to fit in their mouth, so broad bodied fish are usually safe. get him on the smaller side and raise him up on a dead diet. You need to target feed them with chunky foods on a feeding stick or training them to take it from you dropped into the tank. Maintain a regular feeding schedule and he is not going to even think about working for his food. Click on my name and find all threads, and you will get some ideas about their care. Finding the right source, qt, and some good food choices.

Oh, a snowflake or skeletor eel could be also be a good addition. Absolutely no fan tooth eel unless you want everyone dead.

Even some of small angels could be possible, some can be difficult to acclimate and some can come with a high pricetag. You can keep pairs of some which is really nice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
g.knight

g.knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask and ye shall receive. I'm new to R2R, but this is really a great, great community.

Thanks, @lion king for taking the time to give me all that info. That is exactly the kind of input I was needing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back