Bulk soda ash discontinued?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. When comparing the same sizes, our new soda ash is a few dollars more, but is now made from pharmaceutical grade material as with the rest of our 2 part additive line. While there's no argument that regular soda ash can work, we're not just about settling for an acceptable level of quality; we want to bring the best quality products we can to our reefers and I believe we have found a way to do it while maintaining a very solid value. Our new soda ash mixes cleaner and faster. It' s a noticeable difference, and I don't think you'll find a better value anywhere.

I like BRS and what you are doing overall, but I always find this verbiage funny when companies do this. You're basically telling everyone the old stuff was settling for "acceptable quality" yet you sold I'm sure hundreds or thousands of tons of it. Like when the new model of car comes out the old one is suddenly average.

I mean, just tell it like it is. You found "higher quality" product that you can package more nicely and make a few more bucks on. There's nothing wrong with that, but the marketing fluff is a bit much.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all...following along...I would like to know what is the difference between Old Product and New Product. The Old Product also states it's Pharmaceutical Grade on the side of the packaging.

There is some distinction as there were some products that contained pharmaceutical grade materials, however Soda Ash has always been a "High Purity" product and not pharmaceutical grade until now. That said, aside from the difference in product grade/purity, the new powder is also faster to mix with less foaming and no residue. Takin' soda ash to the next level...

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some distinction as there were some products that contained pharmaceutical grade materials, however Soda Ash has always been a "High Purity" product and not pharmaceutical grade until now. That said, aside from the difference in product grade/purity, the new powder is also faster to mix with less foaming and no residue. Takin' soda ash to the next level...
Maybe it’d help to know your definition of “pharmaceutical grade”. Is there a purity level that a chemical must meet in order to be considered pharmaceutical grade or is it some other measure??

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like BRS and what you are doing overall, but I always find this verbiage funny when companies do this. You're basically telling everyone the old stuff was settling for "acceptable quality" yet you sold I'm sure hundreds or thousands of tons of it. Like when the new model of car comes out the old one is suddenly average.

I mean, just tell it like it is. You found "higher quality" product that you can package more nicely and make a few more bucks on. There's nothing wrong with that, but the marketing fluff is a bit much.

Definitely hear ya, and I'm in complete agreement. When I mentioned "regular" soda ash, this wasn't specifically targeted at our previous product, though I can see how it might be taken that way. The second part of that statement relates or our operating mentality. We aren't about settling, and will always look for ways to improve when we can. We were selling a high grade of soda ash before, but, as you said, we've found an even higher quality product which we believe offers additional benefits. Nothing more to read into than this.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1.

I think most of us can probably agree that food or pharmaceutical grade supplements (the discontinued line) represent a pretty good jump in quality over stuff designed to melt ice on driveways (Mag Flake and similar products). However, I'm not sure about the shift from "pharmaceutical grade" to "somehow better pharmaceutical grade." Using pharmaceutical to describe quality sort of implies that it doesn't get much purer. Now we find out that "pharmaceutical" isn't the pinnacle of purity. Will this new USP pharmaceutical grade eventually be unseated by an even more expensive standard of purity down the road?

"Not settling" is a fine sentiment, and in some areas it's appropriate to take that approach. When I had my ruptured appendix removed, I certainly wouldn't have wanted the internist to take a "good enough" approach. However, as a hobby, we have been using food-grade products to supplement magnesium, calcium and carbonate for at least a decade, if not longer. If we can accept that, in general, things that are safe for humans (food-grade supplements, food-grade plastic containers, etc) are safe for reef aquaria, I have a hard time justifying the cost of "USP" grade supplements. The old "pharmaceutical" grade supplements made sense to me because they were a decent compromise in quantity and price (read: didn't have to buy a 35lb bucket to get a good deal), and sure, maybe pharmaceutical grade was a bit better than just food grade. Having said all that, I don't think I can personally stomach this price increase.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice on is in pounds and one is gallons but the 7 pounds makes over 6 gallons. is it just because its preportioned

amnesiac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1.
However, I'm not sure about the shift from "pharmaceutical grade" to "somehow better pharmaceutical grade." Using pharmaceutical to describe quality sort of implies that it doesn't get much purer. Now we find out that "pharmaceutical" isn't the pinnacle of purity. Will this new USP pharmaceutical grade eventually be unseated by an even more expensive standard of purity down the road?
+1 Was this something reefers were demanding.....a higher purity in sodium carbonate?? Would it have been possible to sell both a higher purity soda ash and and the lower purity right alongside each other like you guys do with carbon??

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now there's something I just thought of...the Old Product Bucket weighs 40lbs, the New Product is 7 pounds...will the New last as long as the Old. To make a gallon of Alkalinity from the Old Product required 2 Cups of Soda Ash... is it now less to make a gallon using the New Product?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Figured I would share a few thoughts because most of the decision to change materials was mine. Before we get too far into this, I think it is worthwhile to note that for most reefers this amounts to buck or two a month, so any reasonable difference is likely worth it for many reefers.

I think it is impossible to increase the quality of anything without the original material looking like it was inferior because it will be. The previous material was obviously suitable for the application. Tens of thousands of reefers, including me, have been successfully using it for ages. So the existence of something better doesn't make the previous one bad, no matter how good it gets there will always be better out there.

So why did we make the change? First, the pinch grips are not the best moisture barrier for a container holding salts, most notably the magnesium chloride. So we upgraded to a bag which will keep moisture out much better, prevent clumps and keep the product free-flowing. This is also a package that better represents the quality of what is inside.

In conjunction with that, we have been approached by many companies over the years with alternative chemicals some of which are higher grade materials or have functional differences. This seemed like a good time to make a change if we were ever going to do that. After some thought, I ultimately decided I would rather offer the best material out there rather simply shoot for the lowest cost possible. This was a pretty easy decision because the price difference for a majority of the chems was pretty small.

The magnesium sulfate is now a dried form which means you can use less, it dissolves a ton easier and when mixed with magnesium chloride it no longer turns into a rock because there is minimal moisture for the mag chloride to pull out of the mag sulfate. This one is probably less expensive now because you use less.

The soda ash now functionally dissolves much easier and much less likely to clump in the bottom of the jug, but it is also ultra-low impurities and organics. You can visually see the difference when mixing it up because it mixes much clearer. I think you can have a legit debate if this level of purity is needed and it probably isn't, but I am pretty certain a vast majority of reefers would select a bag of the new material over the pinch grip of the old material considering it is only $2.99 different.

The calcium hydroxide had the most significant increase in quality and in a whole different class of source materials. Functionally it is denser, and you can use a small amount less to achieve the same results. It is also less talc-like or "poofy" meaning it is harder to get airborne and breath, so I think it is fair to consider it safer to use. This also contains ultra-low organics and impurities, most specifically ultra low aluminum. I understand that many do not believe a higher quality material is needed because kalk solution will settle out many impurities but that's not the case with all impurities, and that also implies you never let the pump suck concentrated impurities off the bottom. It's just better if it was never there in the first place. I also think ultra low impurities in our additives is more important than ever in a world where many reefers are doing fewer water changes than ever before.

In relation to the 5 gallon buckets which were significantly cheaper, after shipping a 40 pound bucket for free, credit card fees and packaging costs most of them were a break-even endeavor so they were a great deal before :) I let it slide for a long time just because so few reefers actually ordered it in that size it didn't seem to matter but sometimes deals like that can't last forever. I guess I can only hope those that were getting that deal all these years find value in that.

I understand nobody likes it when their favorite products change and certainly no one likes it when they go up in price but I hope this makes the change a bit clearer and you may understand why I made the decision : )

Ryan,

Last edited:

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from what I get from this is the increase is for clearer mix ( I never had a problem with clearly of the old one )
And pinch grip for real

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just ignore the pinch grip part.. but the "buck or two" comment is sorta like the verizon guy telling me I'm getting a good deal by leasing a better phone. Anything can just be a buck or two more if scaled correctly in a conversation.

OP
OP
Joe Rice

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In relation to the 5 gallon buckets which were significantly cheaper, after shipping a 40 pound bucket for free, credit card fees and packaging costs most of them were a break-even endeavor so they were a great deal before :) I let it slide for a long time just because so few reefers actually ordered it in that size it didn't seem to matter but sometimes deals like that can't last forever. I guess I can only hope those that were getting that deal all these years find value in that.

When I would drag the 40 pound bucket off my porch, I always wondered how on earth you guys could make money shipping it for free. So it's fair enough that you've discontinued it and I appreciate the straightforward explanation.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just ignore the pinch grip part.. but the "buck or two" comment is sorta like the verizon guy telling me I'm getting a good deal by leasing a better phone. Anything can just be a buck or two more if scaled correctly in a conversation.

Fair point and understood.

For what it is worth, many years ago when we increased the price because we went from food grade Dow calcium and dead sea magnesium to USP grade the response was overtly positive and the community was excited. All I can say is the goal here is to increase the quality of how we serve the reefing community. I understand its hard to trust any company is really attempting to act in the communities best interest rather than their wallets. I can only hope that the general way we behave and our intentions come through. I understand that everything we do might not be perfect for everyone but our hearts are in the right place. While not the absolute cheapest option possible there I am very excited that on almost most of the chems BRS can say we are not just Better but also Less and in many cases More as well which is the value trifecta :)

jas111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ryan. But it is a little more than two bucks. Example would be the starter kit was 50 bucks now it is 65 bucks. Not to mention each pouch makes exactly 1 gallon. It has been awhile but i remember when i got the starter kit I was able to make more than 1 gallon with the kit. So the cost isn't just 2 bucks. Good thing is we always have choice..

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I love you guys, and you have my full trust! I always wondered how you made money on the five gallons also. If you look around there really are not any cheaper options. Your company puts so much into the community and I have learned so much from your videos, it’s made my tank a great success!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back