BULKHEAD LEAKING

CoralsComeInMoreColors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a used 120g, it is a 2 overflow system, and i replaced 2/4 bulkheads. the bulkheads I replaced where both damaged, however the other two seemed good. When I water tested the bulkheads that were old (return pump bulkheads) they both ended up leaking/dripping (slowly). I have replaced the gaskets, and cannot find the exact size on amazon or BRS. I am considering siliconing the entire thing as I do not think I will be in a situation down the road were I have to mess with my plumbing again, but I still would want to go for a less permanent method. Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is important to put the gasket on the water side of the bulkhead as well as making sure the gasket and glass are very clean.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the glass around the edges of the hole clean or are there chips? Is the fixed side of the bulkhead on the water side and the nut on the dry side? How many gaskets are you using? How tight are you tightening the bulkhead nut?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you haven't seen this BRS video, then this may be helpful:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is important to put the gasket on the water side of the bulkhead as well as making sure the gasket and glass are very clean.
NO! The gasket goes on the FLANGE side REGARDLESS of whether that's the wet or dry side.

OP
OP
CoralsComeInMoreColors

CoralsComeInMoreColors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the glass around the edges of the hole clean or are there chips? Is the fixed side of the bulkhead on the water side and the nut on the dry side? How many gaskets are you using? How tight are you tightening the bulkhead nut?
I would think they are clean i wiped it with a microfiber towel, the nut is on the dry side, im tightening by hand but im decently strong

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think they are clean i wiped it with a microfiber towel, the nut is on the dry side, im tightening by hand but im decently strong
If you're tightening it more than 1/8th turn and it's not sealing up, replace it.
One time, I snapped a flange that had a crack and it ruined my day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back