Bulkhead - What am i doing wrong?

Kent67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

I'm on my second bulkhead (broke the first overtightening) for a tank I purchased used that is drilled through the bottom. I'm trying to rebuild the overflow that it had before but cannot get the bulkhead to stop leaking. There are no obvious cracks in the tank and I've gotten it as clean as I can, several times. The O-ring gasket in the bulkhead is just slightly smaller than the hole. What am I doing wrong? I'm not supposed to be using any sealant, right? 1.25-inch bulkhead/2-inch hole FWIW.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole size is right for a "standard" ABS bulkhead.

As far as installation, regardless of how the bulkhead is installed, the gasket always goes on the flange side. You mentioned an O-ring. It shouldn't be an O-ring, but a flat rubbery washer looking ring. If you broke the first one, my first guess is that you're over tightening. This could cause the rubber seal to crimp-up, forming a channel for leaks. Hand tight with an 1/8 to 1/4 turn, at most.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not using it....and if you do, the first thing is that it needs to be made or non-petroleum products....made specifically for rubber. Once applied, I'd wipe it off so that it was only a very very light coating.

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not using it....and if you do, the first thing is that it needs to be made or non-petroleum products....made specifically for rubber. Once applied, I'd wipe it off so that it was only a very very light coating.
Roger that, I can see the grease making it easier for the gasket to move around and wrinkle while tightening

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use silicone grease on all my flat and O ring gaskets. It keeps them from crimping in between surfaces.
You should tighten by hand with a lot of force. If you still have a leak a slight bit more (and I mean slight) might be helpful and you can use a wrench for this. Never use a wrench unless you have to.
"The O-ring gasket in the bulkhead is just slightly smaller than the hole."
The ID of the gasket should the same as the hole size. The gasket should be about 1/4 " wide and flat.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a razor blade and clean surface of glass.
Gasket goes on flange side. No grease is necessary. A lil spit on threads will help you get a good hand tighten. Then another 1/8 turn with wrench and good.

OP
OP
Kent67

Kent67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just a theory. I have never owned an acrylic tank. You could try using some 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to see if the acrylic has any hi or lo spots. Verrry lightly, just enough to cloud the surface of the acrylic. Low spots will stay shiny and would create a channel.
If it is just one bulkhead it may be warped and works more like a wave washer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures will help us help you!

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flange and gasket on the inside, nut outside. Also some gaskets have a ribbed side. I’ve always been told to put this facing away from the flange so it contacts the glass/acrylic

OP
OP
Kent67

Kent67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, flange on the inside and nut on the outside. No ribs on the flange, either. Photo attached.

20200123_173048.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is it leaking? I also agree with the one who said to use a sand paper on a block (400grit) to ensure theres no low spot. In the acrylic causing a channel for a leak. Also if you may want to check the diameter of a schedule 80 hole it may have been drilled for a schedule 80 bulkhead.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the correct side on the water side? The flange with the washer is in the water with the threads and nut on the outside. Try cleaning everything with a little rubbing alcohol.

Common misconception - doesn't matter as long as the gasket is on the flange side.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the flange and gasket are on the inside, nut on the outside, correct?
Do you have the correct side on the water side? The flange with the washer is in the water with the threads and nut on the outside. Try cleaning everything with a little rubbing alcohol.

This actually isn't true. Really doesn't matter what direct the bulkhead is installed (short of the needs of the connections and ease of installing the nut). What is critical is that the gasket is on the flange side. So again, flange inside the tank/outside the tank....who cares....gasket is always with the flange, and keeping water from leaking.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back