Bulkheads, return pumps, and a black wall

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 29g DT that’s been running for almost a year and I want to upgrade my return pump by installing a bulkhead and adding a return jet, would that be a possibility without removing everything from the aquarium and using a small tarp to cover the inhabitants from debris? I would also like to add black paint to the back of the aquarium due to not having a background, could I do that without killing anything?

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it would be tough, I think you can paint the outside back wall of the aquarium as long as you took adequate safety precautions to prevent anything from accidentally getting into the tank.

However, I struggle with how you would successfully drill out the back wall of your tank for a return while you were still running it. I guess if the tank were acrylic you might get away with it if you drilled from the outside in and used some kind of catchall on the inside to stop debris from entering the water. However, if it the tank is glass I don't see how that's practical since it is such a messy process and needs lots of water on the hole saw to keep it cool and clean during the cut ... which in my experience means the surface you are drilling needs to be horizontal.

I think it would be safer for your pets for you to consider a temporary habitat such as a large Rubbermaid "Brute" trash can. I used several of them when moving my tank ... made sure they were new and clean, then drained water from the tank into the trash can, then moved my fish into the trash can. Dropped in a heater and an airstone to keep them happy and they were fine for about 6 hours! Did the same thing with a second trash can for my liverock (I left the sand in the tank, but I guess you could move it to a third trash can if you wanted).

I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could figure out how to drill and paint your tank with it still running, but I'm not sure the risk is worth it ... it doesn't take a lot of effort to setup a temporary habitat and then do the job properly.

Just my $0.02

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank cracks while being drilled which happens. Idk could be bad. Best best is to move everything to a temp holding tank. I've even used those plastic tubs you put your Xmas and Halloween stuff in works great and cost 7$

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back