Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a zillion vermitids in my tank. Not the ones with the webs but they shoot out a single little line to catch food. I run a biocube 32. I bought 1 single bumblebee snail thinking he’d do at least something to take care of this mess. (“Mess” being a misnomer because as far as I can tell the vermitids don’t bother anything they just poke my dag on hands when I clean). Anyhow, are these guys basically nassarius snails with a yellow and black shell or do they actively seek out and kill other cuc snails? Like I know nassarius will eat a snail that is turned over and can’t right itself. Not s big deal. Is a bumblebee gonna hunt down and kill my unflippable trochus for example? It’s MAYBE the size of a dime. I can currently see it so I can remove if needed but will likely lose it again soon.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several bumblebees in my tank. Purchased them hoping they might help to control vermitid snails. Not really sure if they do much of that, but I also haven't noticed them being predatory on any desirable inhabitants of my tank.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several bumblebees in my tank. Purchased them hoping they might help to control vermitid snails. Not really sure if they do much of that, but I also haven't noticed them being predatory on any desirable inhabitants of my tank.
Thank you! I’ve only got the one and he’s tiny. But that being said, everything I keep seeing about them eating other tank cuc or inhabitants is also true of nassarius. I mean I’ve sat and watched nassarius take down a margharita that fell before I could get to it. But no one bags on them

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some BB in my 120 and over the last 1.5 years I am seeing a reduction of Vsnails since intorducing the BB.
Its a slow procees or at least it has been in my system.
Do they mess with your good cuc? I’m watching my little guy roll over a vermitid right now actually. But I have sooooooo many

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’ve only got the one and he’s tiny. But that being said, everything I keep seeing about them eating other tank cuc or inhabitants is also true of nassarius. I mean I’ve sat and watched nassarius take down a margharita that fell before I could get to it. But no one bags on them
I have an urchin that flips snails and eats them.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they mess with your good cuc? I’m watching my little guy roll over a vermitid right now actually. But I have sooooooo many
Never seen them do harm but my system is 95% sps.
You will need more than one.
I put around 12 in my 120.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See and yet everything I find about BB snails says they kill stuff. I know nassarius do but they don’t get the bad wrap
I have nassarius in my fuge and 45 frag system and all they do is lay eggs and multiply.
I do feed them pellets a few times a week though.
My 120 is Bare Bottom.

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a zillion vermitids in my tank. Not the ones with the webs but they shoot out a single little line to catch food. I run a biocube 32. I bought 1 single bumblebee snail thinking he’d do at least something to take care of this mess. (“Mess” being a misnomer because as far as I can tell the vermitids don’t bother anything they just poke my dag on hands when I clean). Anyhow, are these guys basically nassarius snails with a yellow and black shell or do they actively seek out and kill other cuc snails? Like I know nassarius will eat a snail that is turned over and can’t right itself. Not s big deal. Is a bumblebee gonna hunt down and kill my unflippable trochus for example? It’s MAYBE the size of a dime. I can currently see it so I can remove if needed but will likely lose it again soon.
I think you may have something more along the lines of spaghetti worms that you are mistaking for vermitids. I bought two of these guys thinking maybe they would take out both, but after killing the few verms I had I think they both starved to death. Haven't seen them in a while and had some funny water issues. I was told that they will flip and eat other snails of they are hungry, but all my others are still around. If it is long reddish brown strings that seem to move on their own probably worms not vermitids

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen one eat a snail. Inappropriate reefer claimed one ate a hole through one if his clams or a coral IIRC in one video

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting accounts here.
I am also considering bumblebees for my vermetid issues but, I have a fair amount of euphyllia and seem to remember reading about someone having an issue with bumblebees eating euphyllia.

Am I wrong?

Santervas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tengo 5 hace dos años en un 500 litros y comen carroña y lo que encuentran, son buenos para el acuario

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about five in a fifty gal tank. They’re basically just like Nassarius snails except they stay on the rocks while Nassarius snails stay in the sand. My bumble bees are usually the first to show up to eat something that’s dying but I’ve never seen them actually kill or hunt anything down.
I’m sure they’re opportunistic enough to kill a sick or slow snail but not to the extent that a hermit crab would.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back