Bumblebees Reduced Bristle Worms in 2 Weeks

Have you used bumblebee snails for pest control?

• Yes for bristle worms

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes for vermetid snails

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Yes for other worms/ pests (please clarify in comments)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • No I don’t believe they’re reef safe

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what size bristle worm the bumblebee snails eat? Has anyone SEEN them eat a bristle worm? I’m sure my big guys in the front won’t be effected, but just curious where they’re snacking..

I used to find a few tiny bristles in my filter fiber (that I would pick out and throw back in the tank, along with the amphipods lol), between my mag float and the glass of all places, and on the bottom ofthe fish guard/ biomedia foam. I added 2 bumblebee snails to my BioCube 14 exactly 2 weeks ago and haven’t seen any new little ones- in 2/3 places ….and I’ve been feeding WAY heavier!! Just curious if they’re eating juveniles off the rock work where they’ve been hanging out, or larvae, or what..

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but now that you mention it. I haven't seen a bristle worm since I added bumble bees for vermetids about a year ago. Admittedly, I don't actively look for them though.
I guess they really are little assassin snails! Haha they’re so slow, I just wondered how they’re even catching the bristle worms..maybe it’s at the larvae stage..

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…coming back to this, since I really have not found any information on which worms etc the bumblebees eat, and now I seem to have some new ones bugging my little mushroom… anyone know if they eat these? They seem to appear in high flow areas and bounce around on the water like those inflatable dancing puppets businesses put outside to catch your eye :grinning-squinting-face:

Anyone know if the bumblebees will get to them? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_7948.jpeg
    IMG_7948.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 71

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…coming back to this, since I really have not found any information on which worms etc the bumblebees eat, and now I seem to have some new ones bugging my little mushroom… anyone know if they eat these? They seem to appear in high flow areas and bounce around on the water like those inflatable dancing puppets businesses put outside to catch your eye :grinning-squinting-face:

I try to help the bumble bees out. I have a 16" long 3/8" black acrylic rod that I use to smash the vermetids. Then I move a couple of bumblebees to that space. They certainly come in and clean up the mess. They are work horses for sure though

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Those look like hydroids and I don't think bumblebees will eat them.

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to help the bumble bees out. I have a 16" long 3/8" black acrylic rod that I use to smash the vermetids. Then I move a couple of bumblebees to that space. They certainly come in and clean up the mess. They are work horses for sure though
Oh i see… that’s a great idea- moving them to where the job is! They spend a fair amount of time in hard to reach spots lol so i will have to seize the opportunity next time they’re within reach! Appreciate the tips :)

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like hydroids and I don't think bumblebees will eat them.
Shoot! Just googled & you’re right! Argh thanks for the ID :) I will see what i can do to get rid of them since they seem to be spreading…

OP
OP
TinyReefObsession

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, found some threads once i knew they were a type of hydroid. I scrubbed away one small group & managed to pull out the one that was bugging my mushroom. Sounds like some people have had luck repeatedly doing this, with them not coming back after the 3rd or 4th wipe. Fingers crossed! :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back