OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the fish are better the tank looks great. FYI - its usually not a good idea to add fish from 2 sources into 1 QT - or to add 'new fish' to an old QT

That was discussed earlier in the thread. Due to having more fish than QT room, I decided to make my DT my QT for now. The idea was that CP was started and adding new fish now would put everyone going through that treatment so that at the end, everyone is clean and healthy and my DT would not need to do the typical fallow period. Moving forward, all new additions will be in a 55g QT and added later.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was discussed earlier in the thread. Due to having more fish than QT room, I decided to make my DT my QT for now. The idea was that CP was started and adding new fish now would put everyone going through that treatment so that at the end, everyone is clean and healthy and my DT would not need to do the typical fallow period. Moving forward, all new additions will be in a 55g QT and added later.

No problem with your specific rationale - Its not a good idea for multiple reasons - I hope you're successful. BTW - its the 'decisions to do something' that often derails a QT protocol. A protocol is a protocol. You dont violate it . Note - this is not a personal statement against you - its a general statement

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mnfish1, I suggested the protocol having used it myself with great success numerous times in both home and LFS systems. His entire DT is a functional, medicated, QT now and will remain that way for a full 90 days. The great condition of the PBT is the evidence of the success. Give the entire thread a good read and it will make sense. Pm me if you have any questions. Thanks!

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And in all honesty, the decision to go “QT” on my 240g was not easy, but I simply could not put all the fish into my 55g QT setup. I’m comfortable with this scenario and feel it will work. All fish look good, the water is a little cloudy. I’m going to run the skimmers for a day and put a little more QP to keep levels up.

Some side notes...

I kept the Chaeto in the sump and it looks okay.

The “bad fish” are still in the sump but I’m going to move them back into an egg crate area this weekend and see how the social dynamics look. Everyone up top is getting along great right now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mnfish1, I suggested the protocol having used it myself with great success numerous times in both home and LFS systems. His entire DT is a functional, medicated, QT now and will remain that way for a full 90 days. The great condition of the PBT is the evidence of the success. Give the entire thread a good read and it will make sense. Pm me if you have any questions. Thanks!

No issues - I had read it. I wasnt making a specific statement against any method - just a general statement that its usually not a good idea to add new fish to a treatment tank (whether its 10 gallons or 240 gallons).

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update...

Father-in-law passed away last weekend, so no tank time. I still intend to bring the “bad fish” up from the sump into an egg crate area.

All old fish look good/clear.

The Blonde Naso that I just got, is good.

The mimic Eibli tang has an eye bulging, so I assume it got scratched. Other eye appears fine, but it’s hiding out. I plan to catch it and put it into my 55g QT and add Metro or Kanaplex or whatever someone suggests. He will go through CP there after if it is not compatible.

The Desjardini Tang has Lymphocitosis on fins, but it does not seem to bother it.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ad6befa52d19bc22817da7e28085544d.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sectioned off a piece of the 240g yesterday and pulled the Powder Blue and Potters Angel out of the sump. So far, nobody seems to be paying attention to anyone. The Desjardini and Blonde Naso spend more time checking out the eggcrate than the others, but the PB and Potters don’t seem to react. I’m thinking give it a week and release them?
9898e9abdab439efec9793bc5f903229.jpg

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...I added the three new Tangs at the start of the month. The mimic and Blonde did not make it but they were both new arrivals at a wholesale warehouse. The Desjardini is looking okay but is pretty mellow and does not get excited about eating. We will see how that goes. The Powder Blue that started this whole thing looks flawless now.

My question...when should I do the Prazi? Wait another week or do it now?

Atlantis_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi how are the fish going? How is the powder blue I see there’s been nothing said for almost a year! So I’m hopi g all is well.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back