Bumps on Powder Blue Tang (not Ich)

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually odd if its acting normal and makes me wonder if you really are dealing with ich. Need to get a good look at this guy. Perhaps post it to youtube and then share the link?

Here is a good reference link
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

CP is an anti malarial drug and kills more than just ich so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white spots look like Ich to me. The bumps that look like something under the skin is pushing outward do not look like anything I have seen before. I have never had a fish with that and those only showed up a couple days into the DT. This fish was flawless prior to copper (in QT), during treatment and for a couple weeks after.
I will see if I can get some good video and post it or send it to you. My other fish don’t care when I hold my phone up to take pics/video but this Tang is not a big fan.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ich000932b4_2012-07-21051.jpeg

Here is a run of the mill picture of a PB with early signs of ich. Those bumps are pretty typical.

If this is what yours looks like and he isn't scratching and he's eating, then I'd feel confident that your efforts are paying off. It should just a matter of time until the bumps heal up and disappear. Your earlier copper treatment and now the CP treatment will insure that your fish makes it.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still eating and acting normal. I got this pic of him on Friday but it has cleared up quite a bit over the weekend. I will try to get another later today...
05e3aff1c6a3ceb08584cba79f47ec74.jpg

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks MUCH better! Glad to see the progress and I'm sure you are happy to see things improving as well. Keep posting progress pictures as I'm sure many others will learn from your thread in the future.

Now is also a good time to stock up on any other fish that you have been considering and place them into your DT. This way, they get the CP treatment as well.

One additional treatment I would consider after about a month is to also treat your display tank with a 1/2 strength dose of Hikari Prazi pro. Then retreat with another 1/2 strength dose about once every six months therafter. That is what I do anyways. Prazio pro can be used while you are already treating with CP is also safe for your display tank. It treats Flukes, Tapeworm, Flatworms, Turballarians, and Iasis. Best part is since you are already treating with copper and CP, you have no worms so you don't have a risk of die off from dead worms in your sand. Between the two treatments, you'll be ensured that all your fish will the best chances to live long and healthy lives. I don't experience health or disease issues and I believe the combination of these two treatments, plus good foods, are key to their long term survival.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a PB in QT with those same subcutaneous "bumps," too. Sort of like pimples. thinking it was ich, I was treating with Cupramine and keeping the level steady (monitored with Hannah). It was doing well -- strong fish, as far as PB's go -- but died last week due either to me not cleaning up uneaten food fast enough (ammonia spike, even though I was using ammo lock and startup bacteria solution) or a cracked glass heater shorting out. Sad, it was otherwise a strong fish.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good. Powder Blue is free of spots and bumps and everyone else is clear as well.
I might be able to get a couple more fish at wholesale next weekend, so I will likely add them into this mix and start the clock then, if that sounds reasonable.
456c644f141f643e74ff0843342b95ba.jpg
c03a64eafad192911b3db3d21a10d60d.jpg

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your powder blue looks so much better now with those bumps and spots gone, or nearly gone. CP works quickly but your clock reset idea is a safe bet for sure.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Powder Blue Tang is looking better then ever. Congrats! CP is so much safer and more effective than copper. No doubt.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I went and got three new additions yesterday so that they could go through treatment with everyone else. Got a Desjardini Tang, Mimic Eibli Tang and a Blonde Naso. Let’s just say that the welcoming committee was not pleased. My Powder Blue and Potters Angel were all over all three and being aggressive. Especially the PBT. My sump now has two really cool additions now and everyone up top is cruising around together this morning. We shall see is a time out in the sump works...

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice selection of new fish you have there. How were you were able to catch the PBT and Potters angel?

Adding the more aggressive fish back later will definitely help but it would be ideal if they could get used to seeing each other with a divider of some type for a few days. If you don't mind spending some coin, an acclimation box would be handy. You can even DIY these things using a $2 plastic container. Just drill lots of holes and secure it with zip ties. Or you can buy something fancy like this below. You get the idea. Making things like this is something I like doing in this hobby. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...042C7293ED45C642EDEF042C7293ED45&&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a center overflow on my 240g and I use eggcrate to divide the tank. Once it’s down to about a 2’x2’ area, they aren’t difficult to catch now (most of the Rock is out). If all the rock was in, it would be a different story.

I’m going to give it several days, rearrange the rock again and see how it goes. I think the acclimation box is a great idea, I’m just not sure, as i would need two and my time just got limited with my father-in-law ending up in a nursing facility.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggcrate sounds like a great idea. I've seen people use an egg crate divider to section off part of their display tank as an acclimation box of sorts and those work very well. A 2'x'2 or even a 2'x1' section of your tank would work out and might be something worth considering. Once you add your 2 aggressive fish into that small sectioned off area, they would have a few days to flare their fins at the other new arrivals but tend to calm down after a few days of being able to see them. Then when you remove the eggcrate and the transition is usually a lot calmer than it would have been otherwise.

Sorry to hear about your father in law. I'm going through something similar myself except its my mother and we're contemplating putting her in an assisted living facility due to early dementia. Hasn't happened yet but its just a matter of time.

OP
OP
NeuroticAquatics

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the egg crate up in DT idea. That’s easy rough. The Potters and Powder Blue are my favorites but I’m not sure I want them beating up on every new addition.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well...I went and got three new additions yesterday so that they could go through treatment with everyone else. Got a Desjardini Tang, Mimic Eibli Tang and a Blonde Naso. Let’s just say that the welcoming committee was not pleased. My Powder Blue and Potters Angel were all over all three and being aggressive. Especially the PBT. My sump now has two really cool additions now and everyone up top is cruising around together this morning. We shall see is a time out in the sump works...

Glad the fish are better the tank looks great. FYI - its usually not a good idea to add fish from 2 sources into 1 QT - or to add 'new fish' to an old QT

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 52 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back