buxton.nc's IM10

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share my IM10 build. I set up an IM 20 last August that is still going strong and I have been wanting an IM 10 to use as an observation/stating tank for my IM20. I picked up the tank, inhabitants, and some hardware from a fellow forum member that was departing the hobby for a little. I have added some of my own components to the setup along the way. The tank does have some algae but it is going away with the maintenance that I am performing. I expect that it will be under control shortly.

Here is my equipment list:

· Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 10 tank with stock return pump, filter sock and screen, currently using filter floss to remove nutrients every other day.
· Tank stand is a used Biocube 14 stand purchased from my LFS. I think it fits the IM10 really well.
· AI Prime (non HD) light with tank mount arm
· Tunze 3155 ATO
· Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 50 watt heater
· Neptune Systems Apex Controller
· Apple Airport Express acting as a bridge for Apex Controller
· Using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
· Live rock
· 7# CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive reef sand

Current livestock:
· Red Monti Cap
· Red Monti Cap
· Grafted green and red monti
· Easter egg chalice
· Orange and green chalice
· Purple and white acan
· Purplish green hammer (3 heads)
· Green hammer/torch hybrid (3 heads)
· Purple hammer/torch hybrid (2 heads)
· War coral
· Plating coral
· Purple plate coral
· Purple Zoas (4 flags)
· Purple and orange something
· Black ice clownfish

Some pics are below.

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0025.JPG

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed an MP10wQD on the tank this evening to supplement the stock return pump. Hope that adding flow will help with nutrient export and getting this GHA under control and out of the tank. I am running it on the lowest setting at the moment and will increase it slowly based on observing how the livestock responds. I plan to start looking for a deal (hopefully) on a WXM so I can integrate it into my Apex.

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it is fine. I might swap it out with a Kessil down the road. I have a Kessil on my IM20 and I am a fan of the shimmer.

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP10 has definitely helped with flow; glad I added it to the tank. Still fighting nutrients but making progress. Continue to perform weekly 2 gallon water changes and swapping filter floss every other day. I added a clean up crew from Reefcleaners to help with the algae earlier this week. I plan to re-home some of the crew to my other tank once this is under control. I added a small amount of GFO (1.5 TBSP) to a small media bag and placed it in the bottom chamber of the IM custom caddy for the first time today. I will keep any eye on it an see if this helps reduce the phosphate level with my Hanna phosphorus checker. I have not tested for phosphate yet because I suspect that the algae has been consuming it as soon as it was available. Perhaps with the GFO addition, the testing will be beneficial. The picture below was just taken after completing the weekly water change change today.

IMG_3224.JPG

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used my Hanna checker to test for phosphate on 9/4 and observed reading was 0. Expected this since algae was locking in the phosphate. GFO has been in the tank for 3 days and I am seeing a reduction in the amount of visible algae. Hanna checker test taken 72 hours after introducing GFO is 0.12. Excited to see a real number. It is high, but the checker is reading a number and I believe the GFO is lowering the levels. Never thought I would be this happy to see a high phosphate reading. :)

IMG_3242.jpg

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled a water sample this morning and phosphate is at 0.02. Hair algae is pulling away from attached surfaces much easier now and some is turning to a dark brown color so I suspect it is being starved out by the GFO. Will continue to run GFO while I manually remove hair algae throughput the week. Will continue weekly 2 gallon water changes and vacuuming sections of the sand each week to remove excess nutrients. End goal is to get away from GFO and rely on filter floss/socks and weekly water changes to manage the tank.

OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly maintenance performed today - 2 gallon water change, remove nuisance algae, brush rocks, replace filter floss, vacuumed sand and cleaned powerhead. Tank is showing progress. :)

IMG_3263.jpg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried aiming the return pump's nozzle up? Looks like you've got it pointed pretty straight. Nothing shimmers like a Kessil but creating surface agitation has helped me get a good one going with my AI Prime HD.

EDIT: said tension instead of agitation

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buxton.nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not pointed it up. The MP 10 creates a bit of movement even on the surface, but will look into adjusting the return a little bit to increase the surface agitation.

Thanks for the suggestion! I

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not pointed it up. The MP 10 creates a bit of movement even on the surface, but will look into adjusting the return a little bit to increase the surface agitation.

Thanks for the suggestion! I

How's the tank going? Still happy with the AI Prime? Would be great to see an updated FTS!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back